Almost afraid to ask, what is this?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jaime Riggs, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

This is a small metal compartment or holder for something? Has a Trojan? or some type of ancient soldier on the front. Is this what I think it could be? Measures 1.5 x 1.5 inches and is 1/4" thick. TIA! 59537054_2666400650040730_1203404481484554240_n.jpg 59874210_657998784626601_7152685389109526528_n.jpg 59587037_466167547469646_5440149862244941824_n.jpg

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.....a condom case? I always used my wallet......but if I had something that nice I would have used it LOL!

I really don't think it's a condom case, but that's what sprang to mind. It's a neat little box though.

3. Jaime Riggs

Yes, what I was afraid it was. But it does seem just a *tad* small for one, for a modern one anyway. Should I ask in a different forum? Wasn't sure where to start.

scoutshouse and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Nope this forum is fine. I think it may be gentleman's snuff box, Seems about right to carry in a vest pocket. somebody will be along soon to figure it out! Might also be a pillbox. for carrying around your Nitroglycerine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

.75" too small in both directions to be "what you feared". With nothing else to go on, I vote gentleman's pill box. I fear it is too recent for a snuff box, though stranger things have happened...................nice little box, though..............

6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Snuff boxes are still made mostly in Europe,a few examples..... https://sharrowmills.com/category/snuff-boxes

7. Mansons2005

I know that they are still made, but most Americans just use the can it comes in - the lids close more securely and more tightly to preserve the freshness. Something about this box gives me an A,American feeling - I think it is the profile image. It reminds me of Swank or Lord Buxton, etc. Fancy middle class, so to speak.

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Variants of this composition are common on men's cameo rings. The $10 word for the overlapping profiles is 'jugate'. Jugate cameos like this one & most of those on rings are not portraits of anyone in particular. Wrong forum, but here comes a rant: Why do people always think a figure in a helmet is a Trojan? That or an anonymous centurion. The Trojans lost that war! Most cameos of identifiable warriors are of the famous Greek heroes. The type for the cameo on the box is the 'Gonzaga' cameo, one of the most famous in the world, & others like it:

[​IMG]

Box looks right for pills or tic tacs, IMO.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe it had an insert to hold a coin? Lucky coin, coin for a parking meter, phone call?
    I blame Brad Pitt.:D

10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small for a condom case :eek::eek::eek: !

11. Mansons2005

That, um, may, er, depend, ehem, on some PERSONAL factors, if, um, you get what I am, er, saying................ehem, sometimes a smaller container will suit for, um, a smaller, er, product......................

12. Bronwen

I'm too shy :sorry: to ask sabre if he has big hands. :sorry:

13. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:joyful::joyful::joyful:

14. Bronwen

Primly returning to the topic. This is what I meant about men's rings using designs like the one on the box;

[​IMG]

15. Jaime Riggs

I was getting a Swank vibe too.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  16. Jaime Riggs

My hubby gave me the same rant! Said it was a Greek or Roman. I'm not very versed in ancient warriors.

17. Jaime Riggs

:joyful::shame::woot:

18. Jaime Riggs

Thank you Bronwen, I always learn a lot from your posts. Never knew about the term "jugate" though always wondered what those kind of cameos were called. Always a great history lesson from!

kyratango, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  19. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I thought it was "big feet" ???? ...:hilarious: ... Joy.

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

POTUS & Marco Rubio seem to think it's hands. :)

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.