Also need help with id'ing this tray table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ElmCottageDecor, May 7, 2021.

1. ElmCottageDecor

ElmCottageDecor New Member

I just joined this forum and I'm already pushing my luck asking for info about two pieces, sorry...

Anyone have any info on this table -- age, type of wood (mahogany, maybe?), etc.? The tray lifts out and the rest of the table is just basically a frame for the tray. I could not find any markings on it anywhere.

Thank you!!

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.22.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.21.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 10.21.46 PM.png

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a Butler's Tray Table. A Google Image search will bring up other examples. Others will be along shortly to provide more information.

Debora

Bakersgma and Aquitaine like this.
  3. ElmCottageDecor

Yeah I've tried, but most of the butler tables I've found so far have legs that make an X-shape (because the whole thing folds up) or there is an actual table surface under the tray. I haven't found one with legs like this and no tabletop underneath.

4. ElmCottageDecor

I should go measure it too... A lot of the ones I've seen are higher and smaller than this. It's quite low (lower than my coffee table).

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Then they're typically referred to as a tray on stand. Here's an antique Georgian one (according to the seller.)

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.03.53 PM.png

patd8643 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours does look low. Wonder if it's not an elaborate breakfast tray table.

Debora

7. ElmCottageDecor

Does one use a lower table for one's breakfast than for other meals? As I do not live at Downton Abbey I am not clear on these details, lol...

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Breakfast in bed. Typically the legs are slated though for stability.

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 8.24.14 PM.png

9. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I think it's likely to be a butler's tray coffee table. (How tall is it?) I know that Ethan Allen used to make one, years ago (they also made the "full height" version) but it were one of theirs, it most likely would be well-marked as such.

Here's one from another maker. This one is 19" tall. It's a different design style from yours, but I think it's the same general idea...

Butler’s Tray Coffee Table (wakefieldscearce.com)

butler's coffee tray table 1.jpg

butler's coffee tray table 2.jpg

10. ElmCottageDecor

Mine is 15" tall not counting the tray (and about 19" tall if you measure from floor to the highest part of the tray), and the tray is 27" by 19". So it is quite big, but low.

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  12. ElmCottageDecor

Oooh that second one is very close! Could I confidently describe mine as mahogany?

Draft saved Draft deleted