Aluminum or tin female wall candle holder with molded face hands

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Once again I'm not sure if I am in the right forum or if this could possibly be a piece from the grand opening of the first Pier 1. It looks like gold tone paint over aluminum with translucent panels on the dress. Those resemble some sort of real or faux shells and each is separately applied to the back. What throws me off and makes me wonder is the head and hands. They look to be plastic and the hands are a little awkward but the head is much better done. It looks like maybe the pieces were machine stamped put together by hand? It looks like at least everything above the gold band at the waist is hand painted. It stands around 19" tall. I spotted it on the shelf and it intrigued me but I have never seen anything quite like it. Hopefully someone can help me with some more information or ideas on this. Thanks in advance.

ca1.JPG ca2.JPG ca3.JPG ca4.JPG ca5.JPG ca6.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's a Joan of Arc feeling to it.

IvaPan likes this.
  3. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Quick question (hopefully not pouncing into the middle of some ancient thread again !)-Why did You think this is from the first inaugural Pier1 Grand Opening ?
    PS-Sorry,but I prob missed some prev post where all was explained.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I see Jeanne D'Arc too. Missing something. Her sword or a flag. I'd think a recent Home Goods or some such decorative item.

Debora

Joan-of-Arc-Coronation-Charles-VII-Reims-1854.jpg

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Yes, I think Joan of Arc is probably spot on. The hands do look like they would have been holding something. Actually, I have never been in a Pier 1, Ikea or any similar store, but I imagine them having items like this. I know it's not close to being an antique, but it does have some rust and discoloration in spots where pieces were joined so I figure it has a bit of honest age. I was expecting it to be marked Hong Kong. Thank you everyone.

Bronwen likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

All things considered, kind of cruel making her hold a candle like that.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Not antique, as you noted, and I don't even think vintage. Signs of age due to rough handling at some point.

Debora

Bronwen likes this.