Featured always amusing People's Republic of China figurines

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Nov 21, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

These two came up for auction a few days ago. The one on the left is called "lady with a gun" or something and she's from a famous play. The other is also well known I guess its "two guys on a rocket" or something. My understanding is you can get these for like $30 in china although in the western market people are asking like $200. There's a website called Antiques Trade Gazette that said the rocket guys had once sold for $700 but then the site shut down and every time I try to log back in its says its a paid subscription. Whatever.

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Neat - O !!!

J Dagger, stracci and IvaPan like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I mean no disrespect but is there any description to accompany these? Up for auction on an antiques site when these appear to have been made yesterday, especially the rocket, seems overly ambitious for collectibles so apparently made to be collectibles. I think $30 may be too much to pay, considering today's market resale value on pottery pieces, but they are very cute for weaponized figurines..

Ken Yap likes this.
  4. komokwa

isn't that the Korean dictator and his sister , flying over Japan ???

5. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Not my area at all, but yes, the single figure is taken from “The Red Detachment of Women”, a very famous propaganda ballet. I daren’t comment on the title :cold:

Attached Files:

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Lady with a Gun looks like she is from a ballet.

Other one belongs in Dr. Strangelove.

7. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Or Elton John :hilarious:Actually I’m quite sure there’s a propaganda poster like it.

Bronwen, stracci and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They're cute and cringe-worthy and totally politically incorrect all at the same time. No wonder I almost like them.

Figtree3, antidiem, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@sunday silence , maybe you've seen this already? The "rocket men" figure is at the bottom of the page. http://www.theeastisred.com/statues/statue8.htm

Also, a Pinterest entry that came up gave me a few minutes before asking me to log in. It said the following about the Rocket Men.
    Titled "Exceed United States and United Kingdom", this ceramic statue features Chinese peasants riding on a rocket that has the red characters of "Chinese rocket" on it. The man riding on the rocket is seen holding a banner that says "Exceed United States and the United Kingdom". This is a very famous image that captured during The Great Leap Forward in the early to mid 50's. 14" x 5" x 14", 16 lbs.

Ken Yap and komokwa like this.
  12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

As one who was born then and remembers everything from then, I don't ever remember anything about this, so it was probably not shown in the southern United States.

This is not unusual. There were many musicians, songs, history, so much never made it down south. Always fun to learn here, thanks Fig. :)

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It may have been famous in China, not necessarily everywhere. Who knows?

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted