Featured Amazing basket

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Grandmasattic, Jan 3, 2023.

1. Grandmasattic

Grandmasattic Active Member

My uncle just gave me the nicest basket I've seen so far!!! I'm very excited. It's 13x10 PXL_20230103_205304534.jpg PXL_20230103_205309296.jpg PXL_20230103_205320672.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It is attractive; the strap-like handle is typical of Chinese-made baskets, but what do I know..... Others may have additional and better thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    sabre123 and Grandmasattic like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice uncle......luv the rich colors ! :happy:

4. komokwa

that's sweet grass on a north eastern Native American basket..

kyratango, stracci, all_fakes and 2 others like this.
  5. Grandmasattic

I am semi new to the whole baskets thing and am still learning about pricing. I know y'all aren't a pricing service, but some advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of starting this at $700. Do you think that would be reasonable?

6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Before you can price it you need to find the maker. If Native American you need to identify the tribe. Research is very time consuming but you learn many things along the way. Try looking at native American basket images. There will be hundreds. Try a google lens search. It is impossible to price until you know what it is.

kyratango and Grandmasattic like this.
  7. komokwa

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/130...et&ref=sr_gallery-5-12&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/771...=sr_gallery-8-11&frs=1&organic_search_click=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are still Maine Penobscot baskets of your vintage and with bright colors out there......
    maybe you could email...
    chris@wanderingbull.com and ask him what he thinks it's fair market value is...

or...ask these guys...

https://sweetgrassbasketry.org/about-us/

Their prices are pretty high.....but u have a wonderful basket here..!

kyratango, stracci and Grandmasattic like this.
  8. Grandmasattic

These are wonderful resources and I am very grateful for them thank you so much!! I will email Chris and see what he thinks

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

between you and me......and everyone else here ...:playful::wacky::wacky:

I'd say $399. should get er done..

Grandmasattic likes this.
  10. Grandmasattic

Thank you for your help in figuring out a price!

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

I don't know where u are
    or how you plan on selling
    or where u plan on selling
    or when you plan on selling
    or how your listing will look..

but all of these things will shape the price .....
    so , always take estimates with a grain or two , of salt !!;)

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If this is the nicest basket you have seen, are excited about, and given by your uncle (whom I assume you hold in some esteem), why are you selling? No sentimental value to you? I always find it interesting when sentimental value is supplanted by dollars. I suppose I could be off-base and this was only ever a business proposition to begin with. Just the way you presented this made me think otherwise.

aaroncab, Bakersgma, Debora and 2 others like this.
  13. Grandmasattic

It was given to me to sell on commission. He heard I had been having luck with other baskets and let me sell some of his too

14. verybrad

OK.... this changes everything :rolleyes: :sorry:

15. komokwa

And there u have Antiquers in a hut shell...
    We can only work with the information we are supplied.....and the more full and accurate that information, the better we can be !

@Grandmasattic , this is not a person comment directed at you.....as I have only commented on the item you presented us , but more of a pet peeve of mine , as it relates to how helpful we here can be , with an arm tied behind our back.

Nuff said...;)
    :happy:

verybrad and all_fakes like this.
  16. Grandmasattic

I do appreciate the sentiment though. I am a recovering addict and in the past I HAVE sold precious gifts to support my habits during my darker days. That fortunately is no longer the case with me though

kentworld, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  17. Grandmasattic

I am still learning how to give all relevant information in a clear concise way. I have been nothing but thrilled by you guys and your help. I have told my whole family about this forum, I love it here

all_fakes, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

one day at a time.............. good on ya , sir !:happy:;)

Grandmasattic and verybrad like this.
  19. verybrad

I don't think it is a big deal in this case but it is aways nice to know what is motivating people. I like the fact that you stated up front that you wanted to sell. I just saw a disconnect between your excitement over the basket and your desire to sell.

Grandmasattic and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

how about.....the desire to sell fine baskets !:playful::playful::playful:...;)

Draft saved Draft deleted