Featured Amber beads or not?!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Dec 31, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Another is it or isn’t it post I’m afraid.
    Do you think this is reconstituted amber or not amber at all?
    Does the construction give any clues?. Looks rather roughly thrown together?
    Any thoughts welcome :)
    Thankyou .
    IMG_0548.jpg IMG_0549.jpg IMG_0550.jpg IMG_0551.jpg IMG_0547.jpg

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I was ready to hazard not amber at all until I saw the UV pic. My guess now is reconstituted. Person to ask is @Any Jewelry

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The easy part is the style. It is a ca 1960s Moroccan necklace.
    The beads look like the pressed amber beads manufactured in the Königsberg* amber works ca 1900.
    I have some Yemeni, Moroccan and also German Jugendstil jewellery with similar beads, and they are a pain to research.
    My conclusion after research and testing is they are a mix of Baltic amber and an artificial material. Not similar to anything made today.
    So the necklace was probably made using older beads, a regular thing in ethnic jewellery.

*Königsberg, East Prussia, is now Russian and called Kaliningrad. It is the heart of Baltic amber country.

This is a Moroccan pendant in the same style, with a huge 'amber' bead. The bead looks the same as yours in UV light.
    The mounts of the bead are base metal, the dangle is silver with a glass bead. Ethnic mix 'n match.
    upload_2020-1-1_13-11-56.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  4. Any Jewelry

The same material, probably by the same Königsberg amber manufacturer, big beads on a ca 1900 Yemeni necklace with silver Bedihi style dugag beads.
    The Bedihi family were famous Yemeni Jewish silversmiths, their jewellery is the bee's knees, or the kipper's knickers.:D

upload_2020-1-1_13-40-48.jpeg

You can see a stamp on the amber bead on the left, and mold lines on both beads:

upload_2020-1-1_13-41-58.jpeg

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You never fail @Any Jewelry!.
    I don't know how you fit so much information in your brain. I think you really deserve the title of the Kippers Knickers :kiss:.
    The wonderful thing about beads is that they can have multiple incarnations.
    I agree with @Bronwen that I was surprised when they fluoresced as I thought they were bucket beads until then. Although they may have some of something similar in them I doubt it is yellow bucket if they are that age!.

kyratango, aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

:shame::kiss:
    As long as they have lace trim, I love lace.:)
    If Jivvy were here, she would go off researching early plastic Baltic yellow buckets.:hilarious:

KSW and kyratango like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

And she would no doubt find some and bring us a potted history of buckets.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted