Featured Amber Bear Amulet is 3500 Years Old

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by James Conrad, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I thought Pomeranians were a horse breed. probably the same problem as with the English royal household - when you look at people like Princess Ann you know where the house of Hanover comes in...:cool:
    just coming back from a tour of Poland I can tell you also the rest of their wording doesn't come near the spelling :arghh: and it's nigh to impossible to program the navi. so I stayed with Glatz, Breslau, Danzig, Marienburg (an absolute must !), Rastenburg etc.;)

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would say, it was made in West Pomerania, it was found in West Pomerania, it is part of West Pomeranian culture and identity, and should return to West Pomerania. West Pomerania was returned to Poland as part of the war reparations, so should West Pomerania national symbols.:punch::D
    Not that it would work, the Germans are not very good at giving things back. They are not the only ones, most countries don't want to give things back because they would lose a large chunk of their museum collections. But this also has to do with being good neighbours, and both being members of the EU. (For the time being.)

3. Any Jewelry

I've never been to Poland, but it must be beautiful. I feel Poland is shifting its borders once again, so many Poles are here (Netherlands) now.;) I even find drunken Poles sleeping in our front yard occasionally. The first time I thought it was a dead body, now I know the dead body is probably a sleeping Pole.:hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    James Conrad likes this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear you but, nations don't have permanent friends or good neighbors, nations only have permanent interests...........Lord Palmerston

Fid and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

I thought they were dogs:
    [​IMG]

One for the cute factor:)
    [​IMG]

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

"I feel Poland is shifting its borders once again, so many Poles are here (Netherlands) now." that's what the English thought as well before voting Yes...

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

And they thought we would join them and vote for a Nexit, well, no way! We're staying put.
    Besides, when they're not drunk, they are very good builders, etc. We need them. And they are polite, except when they're drunk....

Fid and James Conrad like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Beloved England .. Joy.

Any Jewelry and James Conrad like this.
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It was the British not the English that voted yes and it was not because of the Polish.

The Poles are quite welcome despite a rise in crime in concentrated areas.

It was because of the Eritreans, Afgans Sudanes,Libyans, Syrians, Iraqis, Iranians and the like flooding in unchecked through Europe and Frau Merkel ordering us to take in more.
    All young bucks allegedly running away from conflict, but we all know they are economic migrants or terrorists.

Germany was calling all the shots as if they are in charge just like they tried twice before.

Also the unelected officials trying to tell us what to do.

We are getting into the realms of politics now and I`m guilty too so we will have to calm it down. :cool:

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  10. Christmasjoy

Beloved England .. Joy.

11. Any Jewelry

It was actually alors who said that, but I agree, no politics.:D

James Conrad likes this.
  12. Christmasjoy

I agree also ... Joy.

13. James Conrad

Yeah! LOL, Let us get back to THE BEAR! Immigration is a tricky subject, even here in America where we are all immigrants, mostly legal though. Generally speaking i would say immigration has to be a WIN - WIN to be successful, good for the immigrant, good for the nation taking them. Once you get off that win-win path, you are going to have issues, simple as that.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. James Conrad

And no, Germany ain't gonna give back that Bear, they have a decent historical claim if Davey info is correct.

15. daveydempsey

You would think the Germans would have enough Amber, afterall they did strip and loot a big room full of amber and gold leaf in Russia.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

perhaps that bear was an immigrant ? :arghh:

17. James Conrad

Tell you what, immigrant or not, that Bear is cool as can be! Similar to William the Hippo at the MET. COOL!
    William_2Hippos.jpg

Fid likes this.
  18. James Conrad

William is 4000 years old.

19. Any Jewelry

That was made by Prussians and gifted to Russia.
    The Germans stole it during WWII and took it to a castle in Königsberg, East Prussia. The castle was bombed, but most of the amber room probably survived.
    Königsberg became part of the USSR and was renamed Kaliningrad. The castle ruins were demolished by the Soviets under Brezhnev, it is thought that is when the amber room disappeared forever. They have made a reconstruction however.
    The reconstruction:
    [​IMG]

James Conrad likes this.
  20. daveydempsey

Some say the room is hidden in a network of tunnels under a cave in the Ore Mountains, eastern Germany.
    Witness accounts complied by the Stasi and KGB. state that a shipment of crates had been hidden in the tunnels and the entrance blown up to hide them.

Frau Merkel`s pension fund in safe storage.:D

Christmasjoy, Fid and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted