Featured Amber Earrings

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Danno, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Obb lives in England, which probably has a different market.
    We sell most, if not all, of our Soviet jewellery to the US. There is great interest for it in the US. Just like in Continental Europe, where it is due to what the Germans call 'Ostalgie', nostalgia for anything concerning the communist period. The German word ost means east, they refer to former GDR (DDR) citizens as Ossies.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Soviet jewelry can sell at a premium here, but a lot of folks don't know what it is.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Okay, this may be a bit irreverent, but many long years ago, when I lived in the DC area, I passed a local synagogue every day, going to & from work.

One day, a large sign appeared on the lawn in front of the synagogue. It said:
    FREE SOVIET JEWRY.

A week or so later, there was a short article in the local free newspaper, mentioning the Rabbi's great distress over the prior several days, and asking that people please READ the sign and NOT stop by the synagogue, as they were NOT giving away free Soviet JEWELRY!

TRUE STORY!

cxgirl, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Had a bit of trouble reading it, as I came across the words Rabbi and prior in one sentence. As a theologian I kept thinking of two spiritual professions:confused:. Sorry, still morning here.
    But seriously, any support in those days to free Soviet Jewry was commendable.
    Free Soviet jewelry would have been very nice indeed, but not as important as the other one. People can be intensely stupid, but maybe someone who is overcome by brainfreeze when reading Rabbi and prior in the same sentence, shouldn't be the one to point that out:shame:.

judy and SBSVC like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There are also those who can't spell...and can't read. Someone who didn't have a knowledge of Jewish culture and their own language might not have figured out that it wasn't a spelling mistake. (and idiots will be idiots.)

SBSVC likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted