Featured Amber Glass Pitcher - Real or Repro?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Apr 10, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Except for someone putting a large neon sign above a piece telling me what it is, I still struggle telling real older commercial glass pieces from reproductions. Nothing about the feel of this heavy amber glass pitcher says cut. Except for the thumbprint? cuts on the handle, the piece is smooth. There is an unpolished seam where the handle is attached, though. The base, which is concave, has age related scratch marks along the small edge that meets the table. There is no mark. It is very heavy at almost 4 lbs. It is 8 1/2 inches to the top of the ruffled rim and it is 4 inches in diameter. I would very much appreciate any comments. I want to learn how to spot the good stuff.

IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0161.jpg IMG_0162.jpg IMG_0163.jpg IMG_0164.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    Figtree3, bercrystal, KSW and 6 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, I am the same way with this kind of glass. I still have no idea what I am doing regarding real or repro.
    Hope someone answers you so we both can learn.

Aquitaine, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

I like it. I see about two dozen néw pieces each week. I found two Abp bowls but other than that I have been lost. Well I did spot that Northwood piece but that was an accident.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

I like it too.

5. KikoBlueEyes

Sorry Pearls. I meant I liked your thought. :)

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I suspect it's mould blown rather than cut.

pearlsnblume, KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. Have looked at hundreds of pitchers and found the body but with a different handle. The closest is an Adams Co but that was footed.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

interesting pitcher; but not finding a match anywhere... looks to fit the broad motif of facets; has overlaying vertical and diagonal grids, along with the buttons and diamond grid inserts. Didn't find anything close at eapgs but perhaps you could submit to their facebook group...

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks so much for looking! Excellent review of the considerations for EAPG on an actual piece. I will look at these elements on the pitcher, so I can see them on a piece versus a photograph.

Is this the Facebook group?
    Early American Pattern Glass Society

This is so exciting. :happy::happy::happy::happy:

bercrystal, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. TallCakes

yes, that's the FB group; it's a private group and I don't know their joining requirements, as I don't participate in FB...

11. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. I will ask to join, and if I get any comments, I will post them here. I very much appreciate your help.

12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

It would take some really heavy duty lungs to blow that, I suspect pressed, although without hands on I can't say it's not cut.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Good point I will examine it again. The handle seems to have cut edges. Thank you.

judy likes this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

You were right that I needed to take a second look. The pattern is an APB one called Harvard or Cane. I should known that the sharp edges of the handle meant ABP. One of the sites says: "Often called the "Cane" or "Harvard" Pattern that was popular with several cutting houses"

he8zgwCTDe7-Nr0Yj7.Jew.jpg
    American Brilliant Cut Glass Pitcher "Harvard" Pattern | Collectors Weekly

American Brilliant Period ABP Harvard/Cane Pattern Cut Glass Pitcher Tankard 10" | eBay

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/abp-cut-glass-harvard-pattern-tall-tankard

ABP CUT GLASS HARVARD PATTERN WATER SET 14 INCH PITCHER | #35704078 (worthpoint.com)

Attached Files:

15. TallCakes

agree, similarities to ABP Harvard... differences to yours is that the cane pattern is on diagonal in yours and vertical/horizontal in the Harvard piece; the overlaying vertical/horizontal grid is different; the 'stars' on the hobs are different styles. Can't tell from your photos if it is cut anywhere, as photos look pressed to me. BTW, ABP cut glass begins with a pressed blank.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Fascinating. Thank you for taking the time to discern these differences. I just looked at the type of patterning. I had no idea of the relationship between pressed glass and ABP. I ran my fingers over the piece again and the stars are very well defined much more than the limited pieces that I have touched in the past. The problem is I don’t know what a real EAPG piece feels like. I couldn’t find any sharp edges except on the handle which is the only way I have to determine someone is cut. I very much appreciate your taking the time to post this information.

17. Cherryhill

Fifty years of experience makes it hard to remember learning the difference. It seems like it's intuitive now, I usually can tell before I pick it up. There's a different shine to the surface of a cut area or feature, than to the same area on a pressed piece. My employment as a tool maker may have some influence, I can see the surface as to how it was finished. Ground and polished is one surface, pressed, with the glass cooling against the surface of the mold is another. Entirely different. Unfortunately, my monitor isn't trained to tell the difference. Most if not all of the "American Brilliant Period" of cut glass was blown before being cut, It was made from blanks high in lead content. In the past 30 to 40 years, imports from Europe and points east have also been made from lead glass, but many are pressed before being touched up to claim import as cut glass which the US has declared not a threat to domestic production, thus there's no import duty on them.

This is a horse I ride now and again, much imported glass is beautiful, but doesn't have the skill of the old-time cutters behind it.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

I love that you are willing to share your 50 years of experience even though it does not penetrate through cyberspace. I can generally feel the high polish of modern pieces of art glass, but that's about it. It looks like I'll have to count on you for help, which I am very grateful for. Thank you.

19. Cherryhill

Kiko, glass that has been cut and polished is "flatter" (even though it may be a curved surface) than the surface of glass that has been formed by contact with a highly polished iron surface.

Start by comparing two pieces, one you know is cut and one you know is pressed. I know, how do you start? [a suggestion] ask one of the vendors in an antique mall to show you a piece of each.

20. pearlsnblume

This stuff is so way over my head, I don't think I will ever get it into my brain.
    I have some here from my grandmother, is it pressed, is ABG, I have no idea.I just know it weighs a ton and I have no desire to try to get decent photos or figure out who made it and what it is.
    Kudos to you all who can capture this kind of glass in photos and id it. Maybe in my next lifetime I will be better at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted