Featured Amber? pendant - multiple marks

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by aaroncab, Dec 14, 2017.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

This came with an Italy 925 rope chain(not pictured) - which I don't think is original to the pendant. Not sure if this is amber - how can i tell? Also there are 2 marks(one is a 925 mark) on the bail and 1 on the ring on the pendant itself. Looking for help with the marks. The marks are all very small - so sorry for the low quality of the pics. Overall the pendant is almost 2" long - the "stone" is just over 1 1/2". Thanks!

~

24201736117_a42e626279_hdev.jpg 39062546791_af838da683_kdev.jpg 38352439434_376d54f09e_kdev.jpg 24201757537_ec5a47b2bf_kdev.jpg 39031591632_0d573e01aa_bdev.jpg IMGP9508dev.jpg IMGP9496dev.jpg IMGP9509dev.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like Baltic/egg yolk/butterscotch amber. Should feel less cold to the touch when first picked up than stone or glass would. Seems unlikely something artificial would have been set in sterling that has been so carefully marked with more than the fineness marks. Any Jewelry, kyratango & other serious joolies will know more.

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. aaroncab

It is warmer than stone/glass for sure. Thanks Browen :)

Christmasjoy, cxgirl and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I concur.....the color and milky lines....& warm feel .....and silver treatment , suggest it's the real deal....imo.

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. Bronwen

Excellent, thanks! Hope I'll remember the general look of them when next I see one. As Sherlock Holmes might put it, this has been in Gdansk, I perceive. Polish origin also encouraging for genuine amber.

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 5 others like this.
  7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

looks like amber to me, but try the static test to see.

8. aaroncab

Just looked up the static test and did it - it attracts dust - so that points to amber - good! Thanks CX :)

9. Bronwen

Come to my house & you could do the cat fur test. :joyful:

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes Polish girl mark after '86, G for Gdansk, Baltic egg yolk amber.
    Poland is one of the prime producers of Baltic amber jewellery. The Baltic is on their doorstep, the amber washes up after just about every storm. And they have some very good silversmiths and a perfect marking system, you've got to love them.:)

11. aaroncab

Thank you everyone - Polish silver and Baltic egg yolk amber pendant - post 1986. You guys rock. :)

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& you find nice art work ! ;):happy:

Christmasjoy, aaroncab and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I agree it's amber, but don't be mislead by the static test, many other materials do that. A better indicator is to use a UV light, and you will observe a nice blue veil effect.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. You have to love Polish silver marks.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

You are correct bear, if it passes the static test you will still need to test further to confirm if amber. I didn't mean to mislead Aaron or anyone else, just a quick test to see and then go on from there. Handy to do if you are at a sale:)

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I generally just start with my eyeballs. Checking the mounts/clasp/findings for hallmarks will often tell the tale. They don't set plastic in karat gold or (most times) sterling, at least most of the time.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted