Featured Amber Square Glass Beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Aug 10, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I'm not sure about this necklace. It isn't very long, 16 1/2"L not including the clasp or extender, each bead is 1/4" x 1/4" - I seem to remember someone saying if they are shorter they will be 1960s, but I could be remembering this wrong. Seems odd to me that part of the string is on the outside of the bead/necklace - would this be a homemade piece? Any thoughts on age?
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking
    DSCF4369.jpg DSCF4368.jpg DSCF4413.jpg DSCF4415.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The silver-colored caps (or whatever they are called) and chain look a little awkward with the cords. So I think this might well be homemade, or at least repaired or made out of pieces that didn't go together originally.

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thank-you fig:) I didn't really look at the caps but I see what you mean, they do look a little awkward.

judy, kyratango, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like home crafter work to me too. Probably made to fit the maker, who had a slender neck.

cxgirl, judy and kyratango like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That chain and clasp tell me this was made in the 1990s or later with odds on later. I'm on the fence about it being homebrew.

cxgirl, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think they are old beads that someone has restrung in a more modern look.
    They were probably, originally, a single strand with either knots in between or smaller round black beads in between.

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The beads are nice, they almost look like polybern, a substitute for amber made of polyester and amber dust or chips. It was used in the GDR (East Germany) in the 70s. But polybern is not cold like glass, it is warm and lightweight like amber.
    Polybern is now collectible.

There were short necklaces pre-1960s as well.

2manybooks, cxgirl and Figtree3 like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies folks:)
    Definitely glass beads AJ.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This is a tricky piece. Agree that the clasp is quite new, as E. said, clasp being 1990s or later. But could be a replacement, etc.

Those glass cube beads were popular Deco era and beyond, but I've never seen brown ones (although maybe they are out there.) Most common, yellow/amber, but I've also seen blue and red, etc.

As Cluttered said, maybe someone remade a necklace that fell apart. (And these older ones have been known to fall apart).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-62-HONEY-COLORED-SQUARE-ROUND-DISC-GLASS-BEAD-NECKLACE-HAND-KNOTTED/123260484595?hash=item1cb2e5bbf3:g:Tf8AAOSwtDdaeRUJ&_pgn=2&_sacat=0&_nkw=square+glass+beads+necklace&_from=R40&rt=nc

It is a bit of a mystery piece. I think it is safe to say that its construction is newer, whether the beads are older is hard to be sure of. Someone put a fair amount of work into it though. Pretty!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Heve been seeing this 'knotty' beading technique for several years now (kind of a resurgence of the macrame jewelry we made in the '70s) - it's usually done with more organic looking beads, and to my eye, this one looks a bit odd done with the square beads. Would also guess that the beads have some age, repurposed from an older necklace...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted