Featured American Empire Flame Mahogany Chest?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MartiHB, May 26, 2024.

1. MartiHB

MartiHB New Member

I would appreciate any help you all can offer to identify the type and era of my dresser. We are downsizing and trying to decide what to keep/sell/donate. Any info you can offer would help me make an informed decision. Thank you for any and all input.

1. Please state what country your furniture was purchased in or inherited from.
    My husband and I have a dresser we bought 30 years ago at an auction in New York City. We were young and excited to buy something but don't have any provenance because, we were young. The auctioneer said the lot was from the home of the founder of Ethan Allan Furniture but that's all I remember. I assume it is American Empire Style but possibly depression era. My husband thinks it's from the 1920s. Our assumptions have no basis.

2. Please give measurements - Height, Width and Depth.
    46"tall x 44"wide x 20"deep

3. Pictures "Full Image", (must be 1mb or lower).
    a. Front and back (if possible).

Front
    IMG_1816.jpg

Side
    IMG_1817.jpg

Back
    IMG_1828.jpg

b. If there is a drawer, a picture of the dovetails.
    Top drawer side view
    IMG_1819.jpg

All the drawers back & underneath view
    IMG_1822.jpg

c. A picture of any marks or labels.
    there are no marks or labels but here are some additional photos

Inside
    IMG_1821.jpg

Nails at bottom of back and also joinery(?) by back foot
    IMG_1830.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1850 classical revival or pillar and scroll. Often gets misnamed empire. Unfortunately, the market is soft for this style. Here in the Midwest, we would be under $200.00 on something like this. This would be true even given your above average condition and nice scroll back board. You would probably do better in or near NYC.

4. MartiHB

MartiHB New Member

Thank you. This is very helpful.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a crying shame really. It's bold and sculptural without all the fussy carving that came later. I can easily see that in a very modern home, but you know some Yahoo would paint it.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @MartiHB . I want to thank you for following the advice posted at the top of the forum, and going about it so diligently. You are an example to any newbie.:)

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

A beautiful mid-19th Century late Neo-Classical piece faced in lovely flame mahogany veneer. Great condition! You’ll never buy anything remotely as nice for 5 times the price quoted by Very brad, which price is sadly accurate.

Please keep this high quality piece. The nicest chest Ashley ever made can’t hold a candle to it.

Boland, mirana, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

Amen. I've heard from some UK dealers lamenting that Georgian mahogany furniture is going for pennies too. I don't think Victorian gets a second thought, even from the dealers. (sigh) Buy the good quality pieces while they're all but being given away. Your dresser will be in good shape and ready to roll 100 years from now.

Boland, mirana and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  9. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

That is beautiful! Please keep it if you can, or donate it to someone you know who would love it. We have a lot of lovely antique furniture given to us by relatives. I haven’t found anything as nice as yours in any antique store.

Boland and mirana like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Isn't that lovely? Almost like a piece of sculpture. Hope you will continue to find house room for it.

Debora

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    Boland and mirana like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Ooh I would definitely keep that if I were you.

But you came and asked the opinions of people who love antiques so we're all biased!

Older furniture can be a bit heavy to move, but furniture movers are a life saver, both the foot pucks and the inexpensive wood furniture dollies. For justifying the piece for keep I would say what better piece than a sentimental one that has storage! Unless all your pieces are as amazing....and then we'll want to see them! :D

Good luck on your downsizing!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. evelyb30

It's a Statement piece now, so doesn't need to sit in a bedroom. It could hold linens and Stuff somewhere else too and look good while doing it.

13. MartiHB

MartiHB New Member

Wow. You all have helped me fall in love with this chest again. Thank you.

Perhaps this goes in another thread but...
    In this dresser, if the contents of a drawer brush against the bottom of the box above, sawdust marks the fabric.
    -I wiped down the boxes but that didn't solve the problem.
    -My next thought is to tack in some type of liner.

What do you recommend to prevent this? Does this happen in other chests?
    Thank you

14. MartiHB

MartiHB New Member

On second thought, I will make a new thread...

Draft saved Draft deleted