Featured American National Treasure... Or?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DanielD, May 9, 2015.

1. DanielD

DanielD Member

Hello,

I found something pretty interesting that I would like the members of the board to give some comments on. From what I can piece together I have two bowls which are identical except one is 12" Dia and the other 9.25" Dia. I believe they are Chinese export porcelain typically called "punch bowls" and are unmarked (typical of Chinese export porcelain). These tend to date pre 1850s. Typically these bowls were decorated with armorial symbols but this one as you can see, has the Great Seal on it three times repeated with rose motifs. The majority of it is transfer decorated filled in with a famille rose enamel and gold detailing. While it may seem crude its quite typical for late 18th century early 19th century export porcelain. I am not really sure what to think about these. Thanks for your opinions! Bowl43b.jpg Bowl43e.jpg Bowl43g.jpg

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Pretty colors. I just did a quick Google and didn't see any other American Eagle Chinese export in this color combo. I suppose you've done a lot of research and haven't found this color either?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Did you say transfer decorated? If there is a transfer it could not be old. The Chinese used to print on porcelain only for a short period in the beginning of 20th C.
    What is the foot rim like? I can't tell from the pictures. The inside wall looks dark on the top?

KingofThings likes this.
  4. DanielD

DanielD Member

I see some examples of the great seal on some pieces but they are not the same as this

KingofThings likes this.
  5. DanielD

DanielD Member

Transfer decoration has happened since the 18th century, I believe the piece was bought as a blank in China and decorated in America. The foot rim is dark and somewhat iron stained (a reddish brown hue).

KingofThings likes this.
  6. kardinalisimo

Since 18th C. Japan, Europe, yes, but not in China.
    Why would you buy a blank from there and decorated in US in Chinese export style?

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If it was decorated here it would have 13 stars not 12. the other thing that gives me pause is there are only two images usually Asian have an odd number. When there is two images thay are usually combined to form a different charactor. That being said, I would love to have the bowls no matter where or when they were made.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I have seen the pink before...but Where??

KingofThings likes this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    I have a small piece around here with a rose colored rim. Dang nabbit now I will have to start looking for it and the heck with my schedule. Silver go back to bed:rolleyes:
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Sorry, Greg. Mickey walked over my face. Translated, that means the water dish need to be refilled.

11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

This was done in the past.

12. DanielD

DanielD Member

Chinese export refers to the fact the vessel was made for export to the West, not all pieces were decorated by the Chinese. Transfer decorated copies of Chinese designs have been popular since the late 18th century, a good example is the 'Willow Pattern' originally a Chinese design then turned into a transfer and replicated in the West. I am certain when you order one of these bowls you are provided with a book of different transfer patterns and designs to choose from.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. DanielD

DanielD Member

Greg,

I noticed this too but its just on one of the Seals - all the rest have 13 so I am thinking it was a mistake.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. kardinalisimo

So,
    During the 18th century someone ordered a blank porcelain bowl from China, that came with a book of transfer patterns and someone in US used those to decorate it?
    Never heard of that. Why not just let the Chinese hand paint it with provided by you pattern?
    By the way, some of the export pieces were not painted by Chinese artists. They hired European painters to do the job.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. kardinalisimo

The willow pattern that the British made was not done on Chinese blanks. Nobody in Europe knew how to make hard paste porcelain.
    Clobber ware was Chinese porcelain, usually in underglaze blue that was overdecorated by the Europeans.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this could be a Samson piece meant to copy the Famile Rose.
    Particularly, as Greg pointed out there are 12 stars and not 13.

The Gotheburg site shows the bottom of a Samson bowl (scroll down), also a check list of what to look for.
    http://gotheborg.com/qa/samson.shtml

KingofThings likes this.
  17. DanielD

DanielD Member

KingofThings likes this.
  18. DanielD

DanielD Member

Clutteredcloset,

As I said previously the missing star only happens on 1/6 of the seals and was probably just a mistake during decoration.

The Samson idea is interesting though. Maybe I will look more into that. Thanks

KingofThings likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The Chinese actually hand painted everything.

KingofThings likes this.
  20. kardinalisimo

There is no way a Chinese porcelain during that times to be transferware even in the slightest extent.
    The Jefferson piece has no transfer. The border is hand painted in underglaze cobalt blue and over embellished with gilt.
    Plus, I am not sure if it was cheaper to do it in US rather than do all the job in China.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted