Amethyst Intaglio - Older or Modern Copy?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 14, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

While looking at this intaglio at the resale shop, I saw a very similar stone in a different setting on an Etsy ad, so I decided to bring it home and see what you all think. https://www.google.com/search?q=int...=1229&bih=607#sgro=om&spd=6769206714913480843
    The stone stays cool, so I don't believe it is glass. The engraving of the woman is the same in both pieces. The color of both stones is purple, but the Etsy one is far darker. The back of my piece is faceted. The surround and the necklace are similar in that they both are reminiscent to a pocket watch and have links, but mine is far simpler. Both are base metal. I looked for a mark on mine but there wasn't one, but it could be a modern laser made copy from this country. Please comment on this, so I can learn what to look for.

IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4040.JPG IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4045.JPG IMG_4047.JPG IMG_4036.JPG IMG_4037.JPG IMG_4039.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Design of what is now a pendant suggests it may have once been a fob. What makes you think stone stays colder when you hold it than glass does? Not in my experience. Amethyst & glass are both silica & not so different from one another.

I'm getting a whole array of translucent purple intaglios when I follow your link. Grabbed this as maybe one you meant:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/606944...LfvKEdbZ04T_xWPJH78Nfc9zX3qvEVn0aAubQEALw_wcB

The cats are making a concerted effort to make thinking & typing impossible. I'll come back. For now, to confirm, is the front face of yours also concave?

Any Jewelry and Xristina like this.
  3. Bronwen

Show, please.

4. Bronwen

5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The etsy linked stone has "phantoms",the OP's photos are hard to see what the stone is.

Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. The front face is concave. I thought stone did not transmit heat as well as glass. It seems I was mistaken. Thanks for telling me this.:)
    I have that same problem with cats. Sorry. I thought the link was the right one.

picture of woman.jpg
    IMG_4040.JPG

I hope this is the right link

https://www.etsy.com/listing/669360...cyQkrkq4CehRTLE8k8Zq45IycZUeSBYaAha0EALw_wcBp

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Xristina like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Hollyblue. I appreciate your help. How can I show the type of stone better?

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

Your stone appears to have a lot of air bubbles,probably glass.

PortableTreasures, Bronwen and blooey like this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Great I'll examine for air bubbles in the future!

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

Concave picture

IMG_4049.JPG

Bronwen likes this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Here is another one:

[​IMG]

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Exactly!:) Thanks for finding this.

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

I'm not trying to say that the one I have is not a modern glass reproduction by the way, only that the engraving is the same on all three pieces.

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

15. Bronwen

When you find 2 that are exactly identical, you know you are looking a mass produced piece in artificial material. When you find 3, the case is closed. You've just posted a link above where I'm writing that has 'goldette' in it. Goldette is a costume jewellery maker. Here's that one:

upload_2019-9-14_22-44-37.png If yours is the tanzanite color it looks in the photos instead of the wine color of these others, I like yours better. Yours is in a different setting than the Goldette piece we've seen & I like it better too.

It's a very pretty piece, & from photos looks like it really catches the light. I put the cameo up because the head is one that was copied (the original is an angel in a painting by Raphael) by many gem engravers & the design of your figure may have been influenced by it. Whether or not the design of the mass produced glass elements was originally copied from an actual engraved amethyst, I have no way to know. Certainly 'in the style of'; no reason to believe they are exact reproductions.

When you're hoping to find what? With something like this & you have your fingers crossed it is genuinely an engraved amethyst, the thing to look for is another one just like it so you can use that hand again. :)

16. Hollyblue

bluumz, Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

I'm actually trying to learn how to detect better pieces. This resale shop, like many has a lot of jewelry, so I look at pieces and using the information I have gathered here, I examine the pieces to see if I can find something interesting. If I do, I buy it and post it here to learn. I learn a lot from other member's posts, but having something in hand is better because I can look it over more closely. Crossing my fingers is part of it too. :):):) Thank you for your help and examples. You are very kind to share your knowledge with me. :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

18. KikoBlueEyes

Phantoms. Got it. I'll have to do some study before I can spot those. Thanks so much for adding this piece of information. I so appreciate your help!

19. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Draft saved Draft deleted