Featured Amethyst or Mulberry Glass Pitcher - Reeded Handle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jan 20, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! I've got a glass pitcher that I can't identify. The pitcher stands about 7" tall. The color is a bit strange. It looks purple but it can also shade to blue at the bottom depending on how it's turned towards the light. It did not react to black light or fluorescent. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Don

IMG_20180120_165130482.jpg IMG_20180120_165154078.jpg IMG_20180120_165239562.jpg IMG_20180120_165202589.jpg

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

It might be an irradiated piece.

judy likes this.
  3. buyingtime777

I saw pictures recently of trays of assorted earlier glass being irradiated along with the usual antique bottles by someone doing a lot of it and putting it on the market. Kind of like painting nice old furniture IMHO even if it is kind of pretty.:sorry:

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. buyingtime777

These bottles were clear until they were irradiated bottles irradated.jpg artificially. A lot of other early glass turns purple besides just bottles with the treatment.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, buyingtime777, I will research that. SBSVC, I thought of Fenton but perhaps let the reeded handle distract me. Will hit the books! Thank you!
    Don

7. buyingtime777

8. buyingtime777

Here is a whole table of irradiated glass. irradated bottles at show.jpg

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

I do not know much on the subject. I do know glass is artificially purpled. irradiated in some way.

If it was nuked, shouldn't the handle be purple as well?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, TallCakes! And here I thought everything Fenton did for QVC was overdecorated!
    Don

buyingtime777 likes this.
  12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It would have help if I had realized that mark on the bottom was an etched F. i thought it was left over glue from a price tag. Must have been a second.
    Don

13. buyingtime777

I believe the handle is a different type of glass. Not all types will turn purple. I think the handles on these are made from a type of glass deemed to be stronger that is different from the glass in the body of the piece.

This is a topic of frequent discussion in the bottle groups I hang out in. It was only recently that I became aware that items other then bottles were receiving this treatment and causing chaos in the collecting world. I believe that this will become more common as the trend catches on with the people doing this to think beyond bottles and into all glassware.

desperate_fun likes this.
  14. buyingtime777

I must confess it is very attractive in purple though despite the controversy surrounding the process. I do not know the value of the piece in original condition but if it is indeed irradiated, and were to be sold as such, it may well find a buyer that does not mind at all and is thrilled to have a lovely amethyst pitcher!

15. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

@buyingtime777

I did a quick search prior to posting the above. The irradiated examples of pitchers all had purple handles. That is why I questioned it.

buyingtime777 likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Called a celery handle here.

dgbjwc likes this.
  17. buyingtime777

My first reaction was that the handle is a different type of glass on this example. I could be completely wrong but I have looked at a lot of irradiated bottles and that hue is pretty distinctive.

I am not a glassie but I am a shameless bottle hound. I bought the first irradiated bottle I saw years ago when it started thinking I had something exciting. I still have it as a reminder.

If a person has a valuable piece the condition can be reversed BTW. It cost a couple of hundred dollars but it can be done.:)

dgbjwc likes this.
  18. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

James Measell's "Fenton Glass Especially for QVC" shows a 2002 similar sized pitcher with a thumbprint type design that has the same coloration...purple on top, blue on bottom, with a clear handle.

Wow, sorry for resurrecting this - just realized the post dates back to 2018.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  19. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Charlotte - It happens sometimes. :happy::happy:

I was 9 posts in before I looked at the date & the only reason I looked was I noticed desperate_fun's avatar. I can't look at a piece of Loetz glass without thinking of him. :(

pearlsnblume likes this.
  20. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, Charlotte. I actually sold the pitcher as Fenton shortly after the original posting. As I remember it sold pretty quickly. Still, I appreciate that you took the time to research and respond. Additional information is always appreciated as I never know when I might run across another of these pitchers. Thanks again.
    Don

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted