Featured An Art-Deco style Alladin Jug ... but who made it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Touchdry, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hello folks,

I've posted this also on the 20th Century forum but I thought you might be interested to see it too.

It is a slightly worn out Art-Deco style jug. Its mold made so a factory piece - but which factory?

When was it made? I am not sure it is actually from the Art-Deco period.

It is well marked:

MADE IN ENGLAND
    ALLADIN (note the spelling!)
    L/S

5.5 inches high
    11 inches long
    7.5 inches wide

There has been one other reference on google to this very style of ceramic - but no details were given.

So, I am intrigued by this, what seems to me to be a 60's take on a Deco style Alladins Lamp!?

Can anyone recognize anything here?

Thank you.

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't think that shape is Art Deco, a very Mid Century Modern shape though :)

anundverkaufen, Pat P and CheersDears like this.
  3. Touchdry

Yes - the last thing I saw on google was a similar shaped jug dated around 1940. What is incredibly annoying is that even though the spelling on my jug is ALLADIN google will only show me things ALADDIN ... even if I do the "" around the phrase I want! But I feel the answer may be in the L/S mark ... I wonder what it means? Perhaps I will find an English pottery factory with the initials L S ... we will see ...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Kind of off-topic, but it looks so much like the ones by Pearl China that I was surprised to see it's English.

dgbjwc and PortableTreasures like this.
  5. Touchdry

OH no this is definitely not off-topic. You have spotted what I see as a newer copy of the the old. I too was surprised to see - is this right? - Pearl China company from Ohio ... or does the OH mean something else? There is also another small shiny green version which was made yesterday! So what is this that I have in my possession? I am hunting through any English factories that either use "L/S" or LS are their initials ... thanks for the feedback Janetjohn (do you remember those books?!)

6. janetpjohn

No, I can't remember yesterday!

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'll bet L/S means large size. That's very similar to much 1930s ware here. Flowers are iris. Poole and Beswick both did shapes of this sort, but I don't think it's either of them.

8. Touchdry

Could be. On the 20th century forum Burleigh was also mentioned, so I started looking at the Staffordshire potteries. At one stage I even thought LS possibly stood for the Lancaster and Sons pottery - but no, it's more likely something like what you say. I noticed that "ALLADIN" and "L/S" appear to be impressed later than the "MADE IN ENGLAND" stamp ... the implication being that, before firing is complete (but after the "MADE ..." stamp has been applied), perhaps a distributor places an order. I'm not sure about that. Also, I wonder why it is "ALLADIN" and not "ALADDIN"?

9. janetpjohn

10. Touchdry

Ha ha - yes, that is a good one - they have even spelt it wrong!! They should have looked at the marks ...
    ... this makes me think this molded jug was made for export ... I'm going to check out the "Festival of Britain" 1951 - they were proud of their exports to goodness knows where!!

11. Carol Ango

Carol Ango New Member

12. Carol Ango

Carol Ango New Member

Sorry! New member trying to post photos!!! Fascinated regarding the conversation ref the jug as I have one similar. It does not have L S on the bottom but it looks like a 4.
    found the jug in my late parents house and wondered where it came from.

13. Carol Ango

Carol Ango New Member

14. Carol Ango

Carol Ango New Member

Having googled a little more it looks like beauceware pottery made in canada as part of a tea set style 706. also used by Arthur Wood.

15. janetpjohn

Not sure what you meant there, but Beauceware wouldn't be marked England.

Draft saved Draft deleted