Featured An Egyptian inspired clock and a rug

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Jan 17, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

FF60B915-6B77-49F1-8A64-8098DDF3D032.jpeg 2A978C76-76F9-4736-AE63-244B39B98523.jpeg Two items that will be up for grabs this weekend at a sale. I would like to know more about them if anyone can help. The clock I can’t tell if it’s original or a repro? Judging by the owners collection I’m guessing original but idk. If original I assume it’s worth an arm and a leg? Second is a cool rug and I’m hoping someone can tell me more about it.

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think the clock is from the 1900s to 1920s. Is it slate or iron I think the top price I would pay would be around 150 dollars at the most. I can not think of the manufacturer. I know that clock face but it is drawing a blank at the moment.
    greg

J Dagger, Fid and i need help like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That "cool rug" is filthy dirty! :eek: Also looks worn. Somebody doesn't know how to use a vacuum.

J Dagger likes this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

same on pinterest as Victorian. I'd only buy directly after hands-on inspection - resin ones around. or I'd check French Empire ones.

J Dagger likes this.
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  6. J Dagger

I found an eehbey listing that called it circa 1867 which is awful specific. There is one sold listing and one still for sale. The clock for sale is $7,800. The sold clock went for $195.00. They are very similar but the sold clock has a more simple face. There are a few Egyptian Revival clocks mostly being called French that are listed up in that $5k plus range on eehbey. My guess is that the clock listed for $7,800 will influence this sale runner to price it very high whether or not it’s justified. The couple times I’ve seen nice clocks at his sales they were priced high enough that they were all still there towards the end of sale.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Definitely dirty but I like the color combo and my floor is cold!

8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Sphinx clock, circa 1900 was my guess and a quick google seems to say so also....
    Me thinks worth a tad more than $150....lol.... Even my Ingraham clock that I pulled out of an attic in 1976 at age 15 is worth at least $250 on a good day ...

I would love to have that Egyption revival beauty !

https://www.google.com/search?q=sphinx+clock&sxsrf=ACYBGNSeAjnhvNCAabMinLQ47yfYBXUjXA:1579511871399&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=kW8oFOuxu7TofM%3A%2CAZmbAUREoCV_-M%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSwgwYu286IvEtg1sM8CaGzS1jM3g&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_m42g7JHnAhWLsp4KHbntA8EQ9QEwAHoECAkQBA#imgrc=kW8oFOuxu7TofM:

9. J Dagger

He had it priced at $375 with no interest that I saw and I was there for 4hrs or so. Second day of sale was postponed until later in the month. Maybe I’ll try then. Hit a thrift store after this sale. Oddly I found a similar clock base there. No figural anything or distinct design but massively heavy marble and wood base that was similar looking otherwise. No clock though! :(. They had it priced at $30 which I didn’t feel like paying for just a base that would probably be tough to move.

10. J Dagger

Both very cool clocks! I believe Gregsglass was saying that’s the most he would pay not the end value. Gotta leave room....

Draft saved Draft deleted