Featured AN INCH & 5/8 - HALF MINI MILLIFIORI CONUNDRUM!!!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Aquitaine, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi all! Digging through a corner cupboard ACTUALLY DUSTING!, I found this little hard to describe sort of Millifiori glass half piece....it's obviously been cut in half....not sure what the heck someone had in mind!!! Was in a silver chalice which will also be posting when I manage to get some decent images of! Meanwhile this post is just for this little what's-it!!!
    Images below with a nickel to help with sizing....Diameter being 1-5/8"....pretty positive it IS glass....fairly heavy for it's size and cold to the touch. NO idea where it came from.. probably my Mom and no idea if she acquired it cut or my father or one of my brothers might have cut it in half!! And there you have it!! Any thoughts are happily appreciated!!! And BTW, I had no idea the lovely little round blue cane with the white stars and a larger red & white star center were even IN IT!!! Surprise & Pretty!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

MILLIF-MINI-HALF-1.jpg
    MILLIF-MINI-HALF-2.jpg
    MILLI-MINI-BACK-3.jpg

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My first thought is that it is a lid for a tiny box. BWDIK

3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the pinback wasn't missing. It looks like a jewelry remnant to me too.

5. Aquitaine

Guess I should have posted one more image.....it is domed....height at center is 3/4"....NOT flat!! Hang on......quick shots.....SO, NOW what are your thoughts, if you don't mind, 'cuz I still don't have a clue!!!! UNLESS it was meant to be glued on top of something......'s about all I've got....??

PSX_20200426_142611.jpg PSX_20200426_142700.jpg

komokwa and judy like this.
  6. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I think ber and evelyb30 are on the right track. It is very pretty.

7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Maybe it was destined for a drawer pull or the top of a walking cane?
    Or it could be just an 'end of day' piece, seeing as how the millifiore are all off kilter.
    It's a sweet little tidbit.

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  8. Aquitaine

bercrystal likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

OOOOOH, ME LIKE the walking cane idea!!!!!:smug::smug::):):)

stracci likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a good possibility. It's a piece that came out of something, and the top of a walking stick would be the right size. Someone might have had a damaged stick, scrapped the metal and kept the glass bit.

stracci likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Or maybe had a wooden base as a mini paperweight? I don't think it was cut in half, made this way.

stracci likes this.
  12. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

13. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Thank you for the visual, wiscbirddog...I can really see it now!

wiscbirddog and Bronwen like this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I think too large for the jewelry idea. I do like @wiscbirddog idea about a box lid.

Maybe you could look around to see if you could find some type of box that you could adhere this piece to the lid.

It is definitely too pretty to get shoved into a drawer & not be seen.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  15. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

This is a great idea!

bercrystal likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be looking at Clichy.

patd8643 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted