Ancient Celtic Pottery?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jennifer430, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Jennifer430

Jennifer430 Member

I recently purchased this item at an antiques market in PA. It is marked "Celtic" on the bottom along with a museum shelf number. It measures approx. 5" diameter x 5" high. I am new to collecting old pottery, and was wondering if others thought this was Celtic as well or perhaps Native American? Any idea on time period? Thanks so much.

432.jpg fbfhfghf.jpg

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The term "Celtic" has a very broad scope, which is not usually used in ID-ing ceramic types. If you could post a shot of the inside to help identify type of manufacture, that would be useful. I'm checking with some UK archeologists to see if anyone recognizes this...stay tuned.

3. Jennifer430

Jennifer430 Member

Thank you. I appreciate your help. Here are several additional photos as requested. FTHTH.jpg XVBVCB.jpg KUYKY.jpg KUYKY.jpg

Darkwing Manor and KSW like this.
  4. Jennifer430

Jennifer430 Member

I posted this item on a few other boards, and was told by a couple of people that it looked to be possibly Mississippian shell tempered pottery. Any thoughts on this? Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted