Featured Ancient Chinese Artifact?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scott Eidam, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I remember, the scary fake.:nailbiting::D
    Yes, buying a collection in one go without knowing anything about it is a huge risk. At least Scott found his way to the forum, so we can help him prevent future mistakes. Some, at least.;)

kyratango, judy, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  2. Scott Eidam

Scott Eidam Well-Known Member

Thats awsome. Wouldve offered a 100 lol i got all mine plus other cool stuff that i can flip for 300$. Its a gamble.... but it was one i was willing to take because i know the other stuff i would double my money at least

judy and komokwa like this.
  3. Scott Eidam

I total agree with your story. The important thing is to never spend what your not willing to lose. I have made incredible buys over the years on going with my gut but in the back of my mind i always have an exit stradegy. Also, sometimes if i lose a few bucks, i use that mistake to further educate myself. Thanks for the support! Stay tuned for a couple of days and ill have more details up for everyone to see :)

judy, i need help and komokwa like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. Scott Eidam

I think this one might have dye? The green is inconsistent in shade. I tried magnifying 75x -300x and im not sure what im looking at? 20190411_190411_compress_92.jpg 20190411_190507_compress_61.jpg 20190411_193228_compress_9.jpg 20190411_193144_compress_64.jpg 20190411_193127_compress_94.jpg 20190411_193107_compress_99.jpg 20190411_193207_compress_98.jpg

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

makes two of us..........;):happy::happy:

kyratango likes this.
  7. Scott Eidam

20190411_195932_compress_99.jpg 20190411_195951_compress_90.jpg 20190411_200138_compress_53.jpg photo 1 is the tip of the white spear where that little flake of whatever came off
    Photo 2 is the forehead part of the carving
    Photo 3 is a 300x zoom of spot 1

8. Any Jewelry

Which means it is not dyed, there is a nice layering of colour, you are not just looking at surface celadon, but all the way.:happy: That was already clear from your first pictures of this item, which is why I said it looks like a very nice piece of jade.;)
    It was made in the last few decades but it has value because the stone is beautiful.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, artificial calcification in this case. It is a layer on top of the stone, and it looks a bit flaky, a sign of artificial calcification:
    upload_2019-4-12_14-13-28.jpeg

With natural calcification of old jade, the calcification is part of the stone and the surface is smooth, never flaky.
    upload_2019-4-12_14-10-22.jpeg

kyratango, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. Scott Eidam

I was getting nervous lol. Should i weigh it to help determine value? Is there anything i can do to help evaluate with the photos? Or are the photos good with the the close ups?

11. Any Jewelry

I think that one is the nicest piece of this thread.:)
    If you want to sell it weight and dimensions are a must in a listing. We don't do valuations here, so we can't help you with that. There regularly items like this to be found on ebay, often listed as antique, which they are not.
    The photos are fine, you did a good job, but there is not much more to say about this item, I think.

kyratango likes this.
  12. Scott Eidam

Excellent! Thank you so much, im often busy at work but will try to get a few pics up a day if i can. I think this website is fantastic. I have many many items that i cant wait to show on here

kyratango likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I'm glad, I thought I might have scared you off.:( At least you know where to ask next time a collection comes your way.

kyratango likes this.
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Based on the photo, you made the right decision.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted