Ancient looking plate with Cuneiform like markings?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN, May 11, 2018.

1. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN Contemporary Visual Artist, Female

This has been with us for decades. I am not able to tell what is the material but it seems to have a gold underlay beneath all the dirt and rust and this poor guy is breaking apart (seems pretty old to me).

There is cuneiform like markings on the base, which is followed by another large marking (which looks very much like Chinese) which is vertically under the cuneiform like markings with another creature. This plate confused me pretty much a lot. There seems to be sea serpents or dragons carved along the edges I really wish someone out there could point me in the right direction.

Plate stretches across: 24.8cm (diameter)
    Inner circleL 16.5cm (diameter)
    Depth 1.7cm IMG_4889.jpg IMG_4887.jpg IMG_4949.jpg IMG_9921.jpg IMG_4947.jpg IMG_4944.jpg IMG_4945.jpg IMG_4946.jpg

Messilane, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Try looking at the cuneiform writing other way around:
    upload_2018-5-11_18-10-4.jpeg

It says China.;)
    It is typical of the brass plates and bowls that were made in China for export and the tourist trade in the late 19th-early 20th century, engraved with dragons, etc. They were all marked China in this way. Yours has had a very rough life, looks like it has been submerged in water for a long time, but is full of character because of it.

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  3. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN

Thanks! Honestly I was really hoping this was something more like a relic or something! such a child! thank you once again.. I still can't see the china bit though!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Totally understandable. And we all need dreams, don't we.:)

komokwa likes this.
  5. YASHINI D/O RENGANATHAN