Featured Ancient silver mine

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Marco Tizzoni, May 14, 2021.

1. Marco Tizzoni

Marco Tizzoni Member

Hello,
    I am a researcher in early and antique metal mining. So I am afraid my contribution to this firum would be only about silver ores and their smelting.
    Anyhow my hobby is collecting objects related to mining activities.
    Recently I bought the silver miniature model of a mine. I had thought it was a Hanau copy of the late 19th, early 20th century, but I was not able to find any Hanau mark similar to those on the item I bought.
    Now would you be so kind to let me know something about this item?
    Thank you indeed
    Marco download.png download.png 20210513_075453.jpg 20210513_075453.jpg

Lilly_Ann, elarnia, Bronwen and 12 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

bercrystal, elarnia, Bronwen and 11 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Fascinating piece. Welcome.

Bronwen, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  4. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Welcome -- and wow. Want. ;)

How large is this piece, Marco? Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in more detailed photos...) ;) ;) .

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    bercrystal, Bronwen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

THAT'S really NICE!!!! And might want to move it out of Introductions????
    @i need help ALSO, @Marco Tizzoni, WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!:happy::happy:

Bronwen, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Moved to Silver.

Bronwen, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  7. Marco Tizzoni

Marco Tizzoni Member

Hi,
    thank you a lot for your answers. The item measures 28 x 15 x 20 cm.
    The miners' clothings are not quite correct, that is what made me think it was not a 16th or 17th cent. silver (for example see the 1556 Schwazer Bergbuch). Anyhow it was a rather unusual silver.
    I have seen that by unwinding its feet it can be disassembled into 3 different parts. As soon as I shall have some spare time I'll do it in order to wash away the nasty remains of silver polish, take some detailed pics and have it professionally treated in order to avoid any future silver sulphide formation.
    I wanted to post another pic of the miners at work but it seems that I cannot because the file is too large (1.169 kb). Sorry:arghh:
    Marco

Hamburger, Bronwen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

What a lovely item, the Tremolierstich on the base is also consistent with German/Hanau

Hamburger, Bronwen, KSW and 3 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Others have suggested taking a picture with your cell phone and emailing it to yourself as 'medium'....then it should be UNDER 1 MB, which is required for posting here.....otherwise, here's more info on getting your images up!!

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    there are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 8 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

Bronwen, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Marco Tizzoni

Marco Tizzoni Member

download (1) (2).jpg Thank you for your suggestions and here is the resized image

11. Any Jewelry

Lovely detail. The hats are typical for historic German miners, so that is another thing in favour of a German piece.

Hamburger, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Is it inappropriate to drool on this site? Just asking for a friend......;)

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

They appear to be wearing Phrygian/Gnome hats.

[​IMG]

14. Any Jewelry

That is what German miners used to wear. The gnome costumes are based on German miners' costumes.
    This one is slightly different, they had the more Phrygian type too, but I can't find a picture.

[​IMG]
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergmann

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  15. i need help

16. Marco Tizzoni

Marco Tizzoni Member

Kuttenberg.jpg Hi, miners' clothing changed with time, here you can se the amazing image from the Kuttenberg Kantionale, it is about ine century earlier than the image posted by Any Jewelry which is from Georg Agricola De Re Metallica (1556). In Agricola's time miners were wearing a leather apron, but not on the front of their legs, but on their back so they could sit on the stones of the mine without getting their bottoms wet. This detail is missing in my silver mine and it is what convinced me it is a "recent" replica of a much older model.

17. Marco Tizzoni

Marco Tizzoni Member

1757-58 by Simon Feinler.jpg Instead here is how smart miners dressed during the middle 18th cent.

18. i need help

@Marco Tizzoni
    Just check the box for Full Image before you hit post for photos. I’ve enlarged these. :)

Bronwen, KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Marco Tizzoni

Marco Tizzoni Member

Thank you for your patience. This is the only forum on which I post images, so I have no practice.
    I do not want to be too intrusive, so to say, but if you are interested I could post a few pics of ancient silver mines and explain this odd idea of a connection of mines with dwarfs. Let me know.

20. Any Jewelry

I for one would love to see them.

Hamburger, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted