Featured And just two final questions....

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

Would anyone know the age on this small coral branch pin? It is 1" in diameter, has hinge and the pin extends past the frame. Coral 2.JPG Coral 3.JPG

This necklace is 56" and contains beads made of Lapis, Rose Quartz, Malachite, Citrine and Amythest and I think Turquoise. Where do you think it was made and where? I was thinking Italian(?). And are the gold beads just called filigree?

Precious Necklace.JPG Precious Necklace 2.JPG

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The pin looks late 19th century, 1870 or so, Victorian period.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. Lizzie

Thank you Ce BCA. I was thinking it might be Victorian just from what I have learned here. Glad to know I am learning something from all of you.

bercrystal, kyratango and Born2it like this.
  5. Lizzie

Thank you AnyJewelry.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep. The pin is Victorian. The necklace is glass and goldtone. Could be from anywhere. Japanese?

7. Lizzie

Evelyb30, how disappointing that it is glass. I was going by the description on the tag that was with it. Thank you for the correction which prompted me to test the beads and of course, you are right. I cannot say enough how much I appreciate the experts on this site.

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I love glass beads! There are so many beautiful designs and colours and the craftsmanship is amazing.
    High end or true vintage / antique gemstones are beautiful and of course very desirable too but I deeply dislike most of the modern enhanced/dyed stone pretending to be something it isn’t.

9. Lizzie

KSW, I think the necklace is gorgeous. I was disappointed that it was glass because the tag listed semi-precious stones.

PepperAnna and KSW like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Understandable. If you paid for semi-precious stones, can you still return them, or was it a long time ago?

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  11. Lizzie

The necklace was in three lots that I bought at auction so not returnable. It's ok, there were almost 300 pieces of jewelry and most were vintage high end costume, signed. So even though it's glass, it's still pretty and should sell. If not, oh well, win some, lose some (like the ivory).

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

ah, I see!
    I see quite a lot of glass being described as gemstone by dealers at antiques fairs. I think they just guess half the time and then try to look confident when anyone asks!

Figtree3, PepperAnna and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed on a nice Victorian brooch. Nice beads, yes glass.

Dealers can be eejits. Luckily, they miss Stuff.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was at a rummage sale this afternoon with a nasty shark of a dealer - who passed right by the only tiny bits of 14k in the jewelry and a reversible Marlboro jacket in the clothes. Not to mention a big hunk of petrified wood.

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The necklace is lovely, and you should be able to sell it easily.

Lizzie and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted