Angel painting by author Sylvia L. Dupouis?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Mar 5, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I found this painting yesterday at my regular thrift store. When I looked up the artist's name all I saw was Sylvia Dupouis author?
    Is this by the same lady? Has anyone ever seen any of her art before?
    Is the little piece at the bottom right corner (it looks like it came from a old Valentines Day card maybe?) what was made from this (oe the other way around)?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated - at least I'm pretty sure I didn't pick a Chinese factory art! (right?)
    Thank you all as always!

ART PAINTING ANGEL SYLVIA 1AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING ANGEL SYLVIA 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANGEL SYLVIA 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANGEL SYLVIA 4AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANGEL SYLVIA 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANGEL SYLVIA 6CAA.jpg

johnnycb09 and ulilwitch like this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Search for Lindberg Heilige Schutzengel and you'll see what it's based off of.

3. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

The little piece in the corner is an old sticker, or Glitzerbild or Glanzbild in German, a shiny, collectible scapbook picture, that was often sprinkled with gobs of glitter, like this one seems to be. Google pulls up lots of them with those searchwords.

They were really popular in Finland in the early sixties and called kiiltokuva (shiny picture) — schoolkids collected them and glued favorite ones into little books and traded extras like Pokemon cards.

The original is apparently by an Austrian painter named H. Zabatieri in 1918
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/guardian-angel-1918-heiliger-542719550

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Sylvie Dupuis seems to write art criticism & children's books, so could be she. Couldn't tell if she's her own illustrator.

5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely a possiblity as this is hobbist level.

6. journeymagazine

Thank you!

ulilwitch likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Next to the date, it reads étude or study.

Debora

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I had that exact picture hanging over my bed growing up. A lithograph my grandma gave me. I hadnt thought about it in many a year.

9. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

According to www.babelio.com: Sylvia Dupuis is a children's author and illustrator.

After following training in graphic design and DTP at the Gerard Jacot art school in Belfort (2000-2003), she trained with an illustrator and specialized in the youth sector.

Probably means it is an airbrushed illustration.

mirana and Bronwen like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the same person. This is signed by Sylvie L. Dupuis. The author and illustrator is Sylvia Dupuis. Also, Sylvia Dupuis is a trained, professional artist and the creator of this work is not.

Debora

61IcSllGQgL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

11. journeymagazine

I should have left it! I'll put it out by mail box this weekend with some others & it'll be gone less than an hour!

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's sweet. She copied something that was meaningful to her, perhaps from her childhood. Wonder how she (or it) got to Florida.

Debora

13. journeymagazine

I wonder that about a lot of things I find - probably from a snowbird (who stay here during winter months only)

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A lot of people -- and their things -- end up in Florida. Your artist was French and likely older. May have been part of one of her children's estate.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted