Anglo Saxon Viking ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Brubaker50, Mar 20, 2020.

1. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

@Brubaker: Time to confess! In which archeological field did you dig these up? Who else was there? And where can we see it on the National Geographic Channel, pray tell?

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Correct, both are Chinese, iron inlaid with silver. Both have bats, mirror images, only the one on the left is more worn. Maybe horse amulets?
    Tagging @Couch Potato Wannabe .:)

i need help likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A Chinese Batman?:confused: Crime fighter?:playful:
    Liz, I like your romantic nature.:)

4. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Other side , sorry never completed my post earlier thanks again for looking and your comments are appreciated. A537A7ED-94CC-4468-B317-F6E623928C91.jpeg

5. Brubaker50

Have a few Chinese bronzes there mirrors weapons etc came with them, a few horse bits as well cheek piece and bit.

6. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Though the lined edges do have an oriental look to them, there were other old civilisations like romans and greeks who used various lined patterns in this manner also.

The image in the middle to me appears to be a bird with flowing wind feathers, more so thana stylised bat.

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Did the Japanese have the same types of bats? The Japanese metal technique is nunome zogan inlay( Japanese Damascene) which was introduced by the Spanish in the 1500's. Not sure if the Chinese used the technique.

10. Brubaker50

11. Brubaker50

Some of the pieces that were with the inlaid silver pieces.

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Doesn't the 'manhole cover' have the remains of nails at the 4 corners, the exposed part of the nails have broken off the back? Can't think why it would be double ply of 2 different metals.

13. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

With every mysterious fascination with almost anything there usually is an underlying practical explanation. Why the bat was/is so beloved, and seen as a symbol of good luck in China has its practical reason: Bats eat mosquitoes. Mosquitoes spread malaria. Ergo, less mosquitoes, less malaria.

Before the arrival of the cor-virus malaria was known as the single most deadly pandemic in all of Asia. Keeping bat houses minimized the risk.

Thus, the bat was considered good luck to have around. Compare with the dragonfly, also a mosquito-eater, also considered a good insect in the Orient.
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/nat...l-insects-bolstering-bat-habitat-zmaz01aszsel

2manybooks likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Can we ask how you collected so many items that appear as if they should be in a museum? I thought important finds were required to be reported to the National Trust or something? I follow a FB page called the London Mudlarker and they're pretty strict about what people can keep and what they must report.

2manybooks likes this.
  15. Brubaker50

Hi all items were bought around 25 to 30 years ago and were sold in auction by A School Museum , Sotheby’s and Simmons and Simmons of London .Left to me by a dear friend who passed and comes with paperwork .

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  16. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

You might try contacted the archaeology department at Durham University. Several of the professors are experts in early Anglo Saxon material culture and are actively investigating potential Viking-influenced artifacts as well. The on-going dig at Lindisfarne is just beginning to offer up some very interesting connections. https://www.dur.ac.uk/cvac/members/davidpetts/

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  17. Brubaker50

Thank you