Featured Anna Pavlova Volkstedt figure

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sally Jennifer Wilkins, Dec 2, 2020.

1. 2020-12-1 13-45-33.jpg 2020-12-1 13-45-6.jpg 2020-12-1 13-44-57.jpg Hi
    Picked this up at a thrift shop and frankly from certain destruction, fell out of the cashiers hands, gulp!

I don't trust my own research with this can anyone let me know conclusively what this is and how much it might be worth.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It's a very nice blanc de chine Volkstedt figure. From what I can see of the mark it seems to be the one used c1915 -1930s. Checking Volkstedt prices on the Saleroom, they don't sell for a great deal. A 12" tall Blanc De Chine nude by P W Goebel for Volkstedt sold at auction in 2015 for £50. If I were selling it on eBay I would hope for £50 maybe but wouldn't be surprised it it only went to £35.

4. Righty ho, thanks very much for looking in to that John, my dream of there only a having been a few made and that it was the same as one that was gifted by Princess Diana's family to the V & A museum is well and truly dashed. You can tell I'm new at this Away to cry or greet as we say in Scotland. Thanks again!

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Sally, Such disappointments are the reality of learning this craft. I post stuff here all the time only to be crushed with the reality. Keep at it. The members are here to help. Persist and post and you'll get it.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You've a good eye. It's a charming piece (regardless of value.)

Debora

7. Thanks alot Kiko, I'll keep my chin up!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Thanks for the compliment Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a lovely piece with much detail although appears to have been originally made as a "collectible" of larger series. Currently the prices of porcelain art are currently depressed, though this is a particularly fine example. If you can get L35 for her, that's an acceptable price in my mind.

I think I know someone who would like to see her, let me call @Natasha to come!

10. Screenshot_20201202_151911_com.ebay.mobile.jpg Thankyou John, I Just found an interesting picture of Anna Pavlova at the volkstedt factory which is amazing she is supposed to have signed the figurines? They were designed on her Gesso work.. The plot thickens haha! I find this fascinating

11. Screenshot_20201202_184153_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_20201202_184159_com.android.chrome.jpg Thanks for all the help. I honestly feel like a dog with a bone, which I will concede gladly if some kind person can put a full stop on this figurine. I found this item lot, please can someone let me know apart from the amazing provenance what the difference would be? Sorry to pester, thankyou all

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

She’s lovely, Sally,
    I’m sure you’ve saved her and that’s what’s important.

You will get better display on photos, if you check Full Image, rather than thumbnail. I’ve enlarged them for you.

13. I
    Awww thats true I love her. Thanks for the tip! Still finding my way around

antidiem and i need help like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So part of a series of self-portrait figurines. Yours missing fitted box. May have originally been sold at rather Russian object d'art shop of Prince Vladimir Galitzine in London in the 1920s. What else are you trying to find out?

The Royal Ballet School in London has, according to the internet, a collection of these figurines. The Special Collections Manager there might be of help.

https://royalballetschool.org.uk/2017/03/24/special-collections-livestream/

Debora

patd8643 and antidiem like this.
    antidiem likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would want to know that too. And, given the very few floating around the internet, I suspect originally produced in limited numbers for discerning, well-heeled balletomanes. There appears to be a fairly healthy market for Pavlova memorabilia and modern figurines of her (like the one below) find buyers. Suspect, if resale is your objective, you would find interest from multiple buyers for yours. If/when you speak with the school, do ask what ballet pose your figurine represents. (To my eye, it looks like a reverence directed to the boxes.) Would be interesting to know.

Debora

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 1.19.28 PM.png

17. Hi Debora

I contacted Anna Meadsmore at the Royal Academy. She told me they had 2 of the self created figures and gave me a link to see them, she asked if I would send on the pics of my figurine. She would identify the detail of position and performance etc.

I'll keep you posted Debora, and a big thankyou for helping

antidiem likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What wonderful news! Yes, do share what you find out with us.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted