Annual Salon of Chattanooga Photography

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by 916Bulldogs123, Dec 2, 2021.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi all, I was hoping to find out when this photograph might have been taken it is 11" x 14"
    The US census puts Mr Piper in Chattanooga in 1940 at 40 years old with a wife and two children. So maybe he did this when he was in College. I don't have any access to sites to research hi m though?
    I want to save it and put it in another frame. It is mounted on the cardboard that is broken so I will have to at least cut it down, But how to preserve the information and sticker on the back? And would it even be worth it if i want to sell it later?
    Mikey
    Stand 217.jpg Stand 228.jpg Stand 223.jpg Stand 214.jpg
    Stand 213.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

In 1920 he applied for Passport to travel through various Middle Eastern countries on his was to attending the Protestant Syrian College. He stayed, married his wife Alice in Beiruit and worked at Provident Accident and Like Insurance Co as a consultng actuary.

Born in Somerville, MA 1899, died in Chattanooga in 1969. Given his college dates and location this had to have been done after he returned (and as a hobbyist.)

Figtree3 and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The first Annual Salon of Chattanooga Photography was 1913, so there's one end of the range. And I saw reference of them moving their exhibitions from the University to Hunter Museum in 1952.

Figtree3 and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  4. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't think the first salon date matters - MOS has given it at 1913 when Piper was only 13 or 14.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd think 1950s-ish from the label.

Debora

916Bulldogs123 and Bakersgma like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The view looks like it might be from Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga.

Draft saved Draft deleted