Another Antique book 1906

Discussion in 'Books' started by Tricia Harr, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Tricia Harr

Tricia Harr Well-Known Member

Another old book, is this a Bible?
    1906 2019-01-14-18-57-29.jpg 2019-01-14-18-57-16.jpg 2019-01-14-18-57-05.jpg 2019-01-14-18-56-40.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bunch of Scottdale's in the US...

i need help likes this.
  3. Tricia Harr

Pennsylvania lol

i need help likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not a Bible, but a prayer book for members of some kind of "brotherhood."

i need help likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Seems to be part of a funeral service for the person named. A prayer for the dead?

i need help likes this.
  6. Tricia Harr

I found something a little interesting
    the book is maybe written for Peter Becker from Scottdale, I found something about a Peter Becker came over from Germany, and there's actually a place called Germantown in Scottdale maybe named after him?? or his ancestors

http://www.brethren.org/bhla/hiddengems/peter-becker.html

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The date in the book is in 1906, so whether he was in anyway related to the 1723 Peter Becker is not certain. There are several Germantowns in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately that article does not say exactly where in Pennsylvania that specific Germantown was. Unless that was mentioned elsewhere in what you read?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Peter Becker who brought the Brethren Church from Germany to America was born in 1687 and died in 1758. This book was inscribed to a Peter Beckers (?) in 1906. It appears to have been printed in Zurich, Switzerland. There are thousands of these types of religious volumes floating around the U.S. due to the German "diaspora" at the turn of the last century. (For example, we have several that belonged to my great-grandmother.) Most, if not all, have no value beyond sentimental.

Debora

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is called Sterbetrost, which means dying solace. I can't read the rest due to the sideways problem.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. Tricia Harr

I corrected the photos.. Thank you
    2019-01-15-09-40-05.jpg 2019-01-15-09-39-54.jpg 2019-01-15-09-39-28.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If that's "Peter J." (which it appears to be,) FamilySearch.org has someone by that name who died in Scottdale in 1908. Roman Catholic.

Debora

87495992_133787307370.jpg

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Tricia Harr

Thank you!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

14. McAdder

McAdder Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they were "Catholic Taliban", they were a brotherhood who prayed for a merciful death for themselves and others, reaching out to the sick and dying and promoting prayer and the Anointing of the Sick or the Extreme Unction

And this is one of their prayer books in the 12th edition, so its likely there are many of them.

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

your answer shows a profound knowledge of Switzerland and its history.
    just as a start to understand the general situation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonderbund_War

these brotherhoods were lead by Jesuits and secretly supported by the then ultra-conservative powers like Austria and France. anti-democratic, today we would call it rather fascist with a Führer in a ridiculous small state in Rome.
    the Jesuits were forbidden for a while.
    the Protestant cantons - those that made Switzerland an economic success - have to support these catholic cantons up to today.

16. McAdder

That's where you are coming from.

But this particular Brotherhood was conservative but not extreme. It was founded in 1648 and has no special connection to Switzerland or any wars.
    The only counter reformatory actions listed on your wikipedia entry is their care for the sick and giving them the last rites and the building of calvarys.

At that time of the Sonderbund war, there was not much democracy around except for Switzerland, in most countries revolutionary forces fought to break up absolute monarchies, but all they could achieve was participation on a low level. In Switzerland the Catholics (not the Jesuits alone and definitely not this Brotherhood) fought for a Catholic State but not against democracy or for the pope or a state ruled by him. As I understand it, they fought for their independence, whereas the reformed wanted to form a closer knit state.

The Jesuits themselves were a conservative congregation and missionaries in the colonies where they often worked against slavery and exploitation of natives. This and their loyalty to the pope instead of the rulers of the countries made them unpopular and lead to many conspiracy theories and their persecution. (I am not saying all criticism is unfounded)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

we stop it here. no use for me to discuss with people that call the Jesuits conservative.

PS: reminds me a bit when I was told about the garbage disposal system in Switzerland by the shoecleaner of the limo-driver of the third auxiliary secretary of the vice- ambassador in Geneva; he knew more about Switzerland after nine months than I do after appr. 50 years. pics showed an empty appartment and he had to buy furniture on the flea-market.
    PPS: you can ask me anything about whaling in Nantucket; I wasn't there but...:)

18. McAdder

I am absolutely fine with ending the discussion, especially because it has nothing to do with the book in question, but I am sorry I didn't understand a single sentence in your reply.

Draft saved Draft deleted