Featured Another Austro Hungarian find

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_1817.jpeg IMG_1816.jpeg IMG_1818.jpeg IMG_1820.jpeg IMG_1819.jpeg IMG_1814.jpeg IMG_1815.jpeg IMG_1809.jpeg IMG_1820.jpeg IMG_1819.jpeg IMG_1814.jpeg IMG_1815.jpeg IMG_1809.jpeg

I seem to be on an Austro Hungarian streak!
    I found this beauty online and I went to get in a nearby town today.
    I payed a bit up for it at 50€.
    Although it has a few flaws (missing clasp, 2 links need soldering), I m still really fond of it.
    I needed a good time reflecting on it before I saw it could in fact be old and maybe from Austro Hungarian origins.
    Its gilded silver with seed pearls and turquoise stones.
    It has a mark on the jump ring and one on the drop.
    The mark on the drop looks like letter P with some kind of animal head in the middle and a number to the right of it.
    Anyone any ideas about my newest addition?

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

As we used to say in Australia: "You beauty!".:woot::woot::woot:
    Wow, wow, wow, a Hungarian Austro-Hungarian necklace! Very Hungarian style, more 'uitbundig' than Austrian, more OTT.
    Gorgeous turquoises too.

The mark is an 1866-1937 one, and the P stands for Pest, across the Danube from Buda, now Budapest.
    The number is for the fineness, either a 3 for .800 or a 4 for .750. Austro-Hungarian Hungarian dates differ slightly from Austro-Hungarian Austrian ones.

The back shows a bit of Art Nouveau influence, so that is likely to be the period.
    The shape of those two longer links on either side of the focal pendant is very AH. It would be a bit more slender on Austrian and Bohemian pieces.
    A bargain.:happy:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  3. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, amazing!
    Thank you very much!
    In the future I will just stop looking for the solution and post my finds here right away :D

komokwa, IvaPan, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:joyful:
    You're good at researching jewellery yourself though, and you have a very sound knowledge base.:happy: Occasionally we all come across a jewel that has us stumped, and that's where the other joolies come in.

5. Dessert58

Ohhhh you make me blush!
    The story this necklace came with made me first think Arts and Crafts: it is said it belonged to a British WW1 soldier who gifted it to his wife.
    But the necklace itself, the material use and the way it was marked made me put AH on the radar again.

Draft saved Draft deleted