Another black totem pole

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Potteryplease, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I am almost certain that this is another resin-composite reproduction, as discussed in this previous thread from @cxgirl:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/slate-totem-pole.35734/

But I'm still relatively inexperienced and so I have to check with y'all just to make sure. This one looks / feels different than other resin ones I've had. It has a slightly asymmetrical base, is less shiny / glossy than those, sounds less 'plastic-y' when I lightly tap my wedding ring against it, and also came from a store with other authentic pieces.

Anyway, this isn't real, is it? Thank you!

53C5B0E5-5EA8-4665-8B08-1EC394F496A6.jpeg C837CE21-558B-4C9A-837E-5F3234372415.jpeg 90AF4768-8592-4443-8A87-78EB25893CEA.jpeg 88D38627-B6A0-4CAB-8C3A-41809EB43F67.jpeg A5DCFD07-E6C8-4CCF-B653-0C0B0B623723.jpeg 4C328804-2415-409E-8B5E-A1890ACE2E85.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like it has disk sander marks on the back and bottom flat surfaces so I'd go resin. Tap it with a small hammer (or tap it on a hard surface) - if it "thuds" it's a resin compound.

Potteryplease likes this.
  3. Potteryplease

Thanks. The bottom def has curved lines, and so I'm wondered if that meant power tools too, but the back is more shiny. I think that's a smudge in my picture on the back. :happy:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the Haida cut with very sharp tools leaving carved lines which are very flat and edgy.
    your carved lines a filled with excess material.

So...... nope !
    [​IMG]

5. Potteryplease

Yep. Clearly a difference. Plus that 2-piece base and pole you noted on the other thread.

Thanks again!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Nice piece. Abalone on wing ? What material for the eye, and what process to blacken . . paint or other ?

7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Argillite is naturally black; same for the cast reproductions of argillite, the black is part of the casting material. Op's item is for sure a cast item.

8. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thanks. . . had thought it was an ebonized wood carving.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the carvers prefer the darkest argillite....but..

The black finish of argillite is usually not natural. In its natural state, argillite is often a grey-black or green-black color. The jet-black finish is created by the carver rubbing the carving with the oils or polish as it is being created. The natural oils that skin produces are actually responsible for creating the deep black color argillite is known for[7], although it is also common to coat the argillite with a polish to recreate the jet-black color.

abalone for the wing salmon face or Salmon egg...and bone or ivory for the eye..

BoudiccaJones and Potteryplease like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Great information . . . thanks

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted