Featured Another coral necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by crazycatlady, Aug 25, 2022.

1. crazycatlady

crazycatlady Well-Known Member

As I'm a glutton for punishment I've acquired another necklace for re-stringing. Going by the clasp I'm assuming this is early to mid 20th century, what do you think? Also wondering if I need to test the coral, it looks real enough to me? If so which is the best way, lemon juice? milk? I vaguely recall trying both of these in the past but can't remember what happened and although I can test just one loose bead I would rather not damage it. The clasp appears to be mixed metal. Thank you! thumbnail_IMG_20220825_141053.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20220825_141108.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20220825_141124.jpg thumbnail_IMG_20220825_141144.jpg

Figtree3, judy, NewEngland and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'd say late 19th-early 20th, which is also when most of these coral branch necklaces were made.
    It is 100% real.:)
    Looks like brass, although the light is a bit tricky. Maybe originally goldplated, but not all brass tube clasps were.

judy, NewEngland, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  3. crazycatlady

Thank you @Any Jewelry much appreciated. I did type 'early 20th century' at first then changed it as I doubted myself, I need to stop doing that lol. Can't wait now for the thread I've ordered to arrive so I can restore it :)

4. Any Jewelry

You will show us the result, won't you?

5. crazycatlady

I will indeed :)

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed with aj on date - I see quite a few of these, love them. Still have my own bought for me as a baby. Tradition was a coral necklace and a crucifix and chain for a girl baby.

7. Any Jewelry

A good start in life for a baby girl.:)
    Here red coral is traditionally thought to help against anemia through blood loss, so good for women. That is why coral is an important part of traditional jewellery worn with Dutch costumes. And it looks good, of course.;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

There's testing for coral vs. some imitation, and there's testing to see if real coral has been dyed. Calcium carbonate, the building block of coral, will bubble a little when acid is applied. I don't know how effective lemon juice is; I usually hear of people trying vinegar. Soaking in milk, or just plain water, will reveal dye.

Attached Files:

crazycatlady and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This of course doesn't need testing. Branch coral, Mediterranean origin. I've restrung some of it myself more than once.

10. crazycatlady

This was such a fiddly annoying thing to restring! Pleased I've done it though. It's about 23 inches long with the loose beads reunited with it. It's not perfect but I'm not starting again :wideyed: thumbnail_IMG_20220831_134730.jpg

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice job! Fiddly doesn't begin to describe it, voice of experience, but it's a lot safer to wear once it's done. I've strung some of those beads, both with a needle and on tigertail.

crazycatlady likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@crazycatlady , you did a great job. I can't imagine doing that stringing work.

crazycatlady likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted