Featured Another Decanter - ABP?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Aug 9, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I found this decanter alongside the green Val St Lambert. The donor put American Brillant Period on the note. I have been trying to figure out if this was right. I found a site that called it Rexxford Embassy, which I found out is German crystal. Now I am completely confused. I wish I hadn't lost my black light (I am waiting for a new one to be delivered) to see if I can see a tint. Perhaps you can tell from the photos.

It is 13 inches tall. I couldn't find a mark. Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_2363.JPG IMG_2364.JPG IMG_2365.JPG IMG_2366.JPG IMG_2367.JPG IMG_2370.JPG IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2371.JPG

Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    NanaB, cxgirl, silverbell and 3 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How sharp are the cuts?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Not sharp. The whole thing is smooth. This surprised me for ABP.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

Then not ABP.

cxgirl, silverbell and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Good point. Any ideas? There is an APB pattern. There are thumb prints and a fluted neck too.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If it’s smooth, it may well be acid washed after cutting. Shape and style is very Edwardian.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Aha. Another excellent piece of knowledge. I had no idea about acid washing I'll have to look it up. Thank you.

8. Bakersgma

Where did you find the pattern you referred to?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

It looks like a nice piece Kiko:) I went down the rabbit hole looking, found some stuff but sadly nothing to confirm what it is.
    Replacements shows 2 decanters by Rexxford in the Embassy pattern, one is the same as yours. Then I tried to find out if/how they marked their items - many have a paper label attached, but all (the ones I found) had signatures on the base also. So maybe there is signature hidden on your piece?
    Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 1.38.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 1.39.07 PM.png

Here is one example with label and signatures - Rexxford and Wettinger

Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 1.56.48 PM.png

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/284036241378

here is a link to a message on the Glass Message Board to show the connection of Wettinger and Rexxford

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=61432.0

If no signature on yours, maybe you could contact Replacements and see how they got the id?

Sorry I couldn't help with a confirmed id

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

@KikoBlueEyes , maybe yours is signed - I circled what looks like it might be a signature

IMG_2371.JPG

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Wowser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You were right!!!!!!!!!!!! I got my flashlight and loupe out after I read your previous post and there it was. Mystery solved. I am so appreciative of all your hard work :kiss::kiss::kiss:

cxgirl likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Wow again. I followed through with the glass message board and low and behold it is also signed by an artist!!!!

I think it says "A Uich" but maybe not. I don't know German names, so I can't tell the first initial is definitely A Thank you Thank you Thank you

IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2381.JPG

bercrystal and cxgirl like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yea, so glad you found the mark!! It is a nice piece and deserves to have the maker identified:)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

I thought I looked at it carefully, but I decided to use a flashlight after your post and up it popped. Thank you. It's getting cleaned up to remove the lime and it will be placed in a great spot with its little green friend.

bercrystal and cxgirl like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I tend to breathe heavily all over the base of cut glass, it’s astonishing how the marks hide.

Draft saved Draft deleted