Featured Another edition of let's play a game!

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jan 29, 2023.

1. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Honestly, #3. And that applies if I had seen it on line myself, before you posted it here (cuz you always have an agenda, so I'm suspicious). I would have breezed right on by it.

MrNate and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's just a game...:playful:

MrNate and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OTOH this is a fun game.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and MrNate like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

#2 but I’m always up for a silver gamble. Looks like you could probably get that back out of if even if plated.

johnnycb09 and MrNate like this.
  8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Ok ok ok thank you very much for all the responses. Now I'm hoping we can share some knowledge on this one. For anyone that said #2, would you mind sharing any observations?

9. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

1st pic, tiny 925 mark in middle

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Charlie, can you show us?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. charlie cheswick

12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great eyes, and also the clue I was hoping others would find.

Here's a few more thoughts (pretty sure I've said a few of these things in previous games).

1. The point of this game isn't who can find the little tiny writing on a piece.
    2. In my mind, the point, is see the common clues that a piece could be real silver, and then go find the tiny little writing confirming your suspicion.

Here's a few clues that led me to look for the little mark, because as we all know, most of the time you are looking for marks that aren't there (ie if it were a plated piece)...

#1: That lovely tarnish growing unevenly
    #2: Tarnish is darker and thicker in the cracks and crevices of the piece
    #3: A nice cloudy haze all over the piece
    #4: Elements of the piece had to be soldered on, not definitive at all, but a sign of effort
    #5: Some effort went in to the shape of the piece

Those are the things I see when I first look at the item that make me pour over the photos much more carefully. Luckily I was able to spot the very small, slightly blurry 925 mark. This item ended up weighing 220 grams, here's a polished photo:

Polish.jpg 925.jpg

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Charlie's right. Weird place for it. For me it was the feet. They don't look like the white metal ones I find on silverplate. Made and affixed differently. The filigree pieces don't look cut from one piece like the usually do. So it was the #4 reason that did it. The lack of rainbowing in the tarnish was a point toward real silver too, although it's not definitive. The tarnish was all gray rather than black, another point towards silver.

I'd say for $25 you did OK!

14. charlie cheswick

Yeah, I wouldn't have got any of the clues, looked very unmagnificent on first viewing

just thought I could see the 925

Interesting points though

Bravo by the way

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The thickness and the soldering threw me ! Its gorgeous Mr. Nate.Well done Charlie !

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

The filigree didn't look cheesy and the color looked good. Missed seeing the 925 but looked like possibly Italian silver to me though 800 wouldn't have surprised me.

17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

the tarnish is what made me think sterling, then looking closer I saw the 925 mark.
    Looks fantastic all shined up Mr Nate:)
    I picked up a Birks sterling bowl today, (will post photos tomorrow), the tarnish is what made me buy it (was only $4.99). The mark wasn't showing but was pretty sure it would be sterling and worth gambling on:)
    Thanks for posting these games, always great information you share and they are fun:)

18. komokwa

the thickness of the rim, and it's uneven saw mark lines.....
    I expect silver plating to smooth that over...and also hide or smooth all the soldering that went into the legs and those trim leafy designs.
    I never saw the 925...

Lucille.b, bercrystal, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  19. komokwa

tell me N8...when you got it....did it smell like silver ?

Lucille.b, bercrystal, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  20. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Honestly, I’ve tried to smell silver before because I’ve heard that might be a way to confirm it’s real, but I found so many plated pieces smell the same in my opinion. It did have a bit of a sulfur smell to it, but my go to once I have something in my hands is to gently start bending it to feel that nice flexion that exists with Sterling.

Lucille.b, bercrystal, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted