Featured Another Inuit? Carving this time in Pumice?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by jakes vintage, Jan 28, 2018.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

I don' have any info other than it was going to be thrown in the trash, I felt like it deserved more than that. It looks like Pumice or Fossilized Bone Marrow? It is unsigned or marked.What do you guys think? Is it just a tourist piece, or ?....[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Blows my mind that someone would throw that away... maybe fossilized coral or sponge... maybe pumice stone like you said I'm sure someone will know better than me.

3. jakes vintage

Yes I was shocked to see that in the trash.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I love it! I'm glad you rescued it!

5. jakes vintage

Thank you! It does have character

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not bird, nor plane , or even frog....just little old me....UnderDog !!

I'd wait for @Mark London to see this .......but since I'm here....

It's an Alaskan Native Eskimo diorama, made of whale bone , wood, fur and skin...and just guessing from what I can see......whale baleen for the base......but could be stone or slate ...I can't see it well...!

It looks in great condition,( maybe missing a drum beater...? ) .....older..& the wood faces are killer !!!
    Worth money......more than you think....but not enough to retire on!!

How big is it....& can you get a good pic of the base or tell what you think it's made of...???

Being marine mammal ...there will be selling conditions..!!

7. jakes vintage

Komokwa,
    I think it' whale baleen (after looking up what that was) I think this because it looks like some type of beetle has eaten on it that' what the pics are of.
    It's overall length is 11inches with each character standing at the 5.5 inch line.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Komo is bang on. Alaskan, probably from the 1960’s or 70’s.

9. komokwa

While I can't say for sure...cuz it's not in hand...you'd know if it was stone.....& the look...& the time frame & damage does look animal made.....

10. komokwa

upload_2018-1-28_16-16-19.jpeg

they made toy boats from baleen strips....so 11 inches would be no problem !!!

11. komokwa

If this was going into the trash..........please tell me ...by whom....so I could sit on the sidewalk next to their garbage cans......& reap treasure !!!;):woot::woot::woot:

12. komokwa

Don't you love the wood face carvings !!
    They add value....right ?

13. Mark London

Not necessarily

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. jakes vintage

Would this be safe to sell? I looked up regulations and though if have a hard time proving when this was made since it came from the trash of people moving out, as long as it stays in the US I should be good right? What should I ask for it, if i can sell it?

15. komokwa

oh...pooo......wood masks are popular.....I thought maybe...miniatures....popular too......
    well......could be...then ! ;):wideyed::wideyed:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. jakes vintage

This was in Arlington TX when this happened about 10yrs ago, it was on a Monday after an estate sale they sold everything in this guys collection and what didn' sell went out on the curb thst Monday mornng with alot of other things. I filled up my back seat of my car with all kinds of cool stuff..this up until today when I took the pictures still had the $1.00 price tag on it..

P.S. I did get permission before I took the items, they said take whatever you want and the garbage guys will get the rest..

17. Mark London

There is no ivory so it is safe to sell on eBay. I would list it at the lowest amount that you can live with. It cost you nothing and it has numerous condition issues.

18. komokwa

ya, but keep it in the States...

19. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Very cool! I just had to look up whale baleen cause it looks so much like sponge to me - interesting, you learn something new everyday!

20. Mark London

The sponge like stuff is whalebone, the baleen part is the base.

Draft saved Draft deleted