Another Is this mold? question.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Feb 20, 2018.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Hey, guys so I have this tobacco card and I must know if this looks like mold or dirt? It does not smell and doesn't have the usual mold spotting I usually see. If it was mold is it fine to store with my collection of other tobacco cards? I know I am paranoid about this stuff but I do my best to keep my collections safe!
    20180219_224358_resized.jpg 20180219_224411_resized.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. spartcom5

I tried brushing it and it did nothing, nothing came off, overall the card is just much dirtier than the others which is leading me to believe it's just dirt stains.

judy likes this.
  4. QuincyAK10

QuincyAK10 Well-Known Member

doesn't sound like mold...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. spartcom5

Thanks for the input! I'll try brushing it again To make sure and I'll get a magnifying glass out.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Wipe it with a slice of CHEAP white bread. The bread crumbs will clean a lot of dirt of the card. I learned the trick from the MET in NYC. They clean a lot of paper using "Wonder" bread. They sell expensive clay ball cleaners but the bread does a better job and for less than a cent.
    greg

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Greg, you are a fountain of useful information, you have so many of these tips for us :)

Aquitaine and Houseful like this.
  8. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

The local store just got to four bucks for a loaf of their cheap stuff

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

With all the gold you're finding, that shouldn't be a problem !!! :playful::playful::playful:

10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,
    What kind of store do you go to? We have Aldis and their white bread is 90 cents a large loaf. we also have an Entaimens day old bread and pastry place. The white bread is usually 40 cents a loaf, the pies are 1 buck and cookies that sell at the name stores for 4 bucks are 80 cents at the discount store.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted