Featured Another Mystery Glass Vase - Durand? Kralik? Lava?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Oct 5, 2022.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I purchased this at the same auction I found the Hobbs Bruckunier Rubina Snowstorm Rosebowl/vase. I thought Kralik but now I am leaning towards Durand? I did see one Durand vase with a crackle lava finish that was not the same but a bit similar in technique. This vase has a colored button pontil. I don't know what to think. I just doesn't seem like 'studio' glass to me. This came from a really LARGE art glass collection here in Atlanta. This client has over a 100 pieces of Blenko, Pilgrim, Durand, Hobbs, etc but also a number of Kralik lavavase.jpg lavavase1.jpg lavavase2.jpg lavavase3.jpg pieces. Any thoughts? Approx. height 5.75 in.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not Durand, I'd say.

dude and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. laura9797

Anyone familiar with Dugan? I am probably reaching here.......

dude likes this.
  4. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

I don't think it's frit or pompeian by Dugan - which often get categorized with the "loetz like" bohemian/austrain makers.. it reminds me more of rindskopf than it does kralik - the paper round label makes me believe it is a quality piece - I am pressed for time maybe you can take the time to cruise here for an answer...

loetz.com -there should be entire sections of kralik rindskopf etc...

dude likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have no idea but that is a beauty.

laura9797 and dude like this.
  6. Rclinftl

I am now in my cell phone where I can stretch the image - that’s not a label in the bottom - it’s a hot patched pontil - the maker literally covered the pontil with another piece of glass - I have seen that just a handful of times in all my years - it is bothersome- I have no idea at this point what maker would do that…

dude likes this.
  7. laura9797

I have heard others refer to it as a button pontil and possibly easier then fire polishing?

8. Rclinftl

I'm not sure it was used for ease - there are some very refined companies/artist who used the "button" one being Louis Comfort Tiffany - I don't know why buttons were chosen for some pieces - it's always been a mystery to me

laura9797 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted