Featured Another mystery (to me) from today's jewelry box.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Melissa Brown, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

...at the risk of wearing out my welcome, I'd like to prevail on you all to help me with this ring.

It looks like a sealing wax ring? I have no idea if it's a good one or not or even a real one!

The silver is rough. Sand cast? Rough lost wax?

No marks other than the odd little triangle in the photo, which may just be an imperfection.

Thanks for your help...again!

Ps: sorry I didn't wash it! Look at all that crud!

Melissa IMG_7958.JPG IMG_7957.JPG IMG_7955.JPG IMG_7956.JPG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I've no idea....but doubt that would happen.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Signet Ring.....the castings just average and it's been worn a lot...but still nice..

The ring itself had markings on it that identified the specific person or the family of the person wearing it. Sometimes this was a family crest or a coat of arms, but other times it was nothing more than an icon or a monogram that was associated with a family. The ring was made in mirrored image to ensure it came out properly when leaving its mark or impression. Therefore, the rings are often difficult to make and cost a significant amount of money. Many world leaders opted to wear these rings on a daily basis whereas others stowed them safely away. Today, variations of signet rings still occur with many Freemasons wearing a marked ring identifying themselves to others. Many other clubs and organizations offer seal rings as well. There are still those who commission a ring maker to create a family signet ring, but most men who own the traditional signet rings inherited them from their ancestors and will eventually hand it down to the next generation. Therefore, the ring isn’t a true mark of them as an individual, but of someone else in the line.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Melissa Brown

Very cool. Thanks @komokwa. This relative had no children...end if the line. That's how I wound up with it. Any idea how old it might be?

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a hard one...with out ID marks.....but from the look ....the fact it's silver...and the way it's beat up...opppsy..worn !!....& the simple but thick design.....I'd venture 50's...60's...
    I'm not seeing 20's or 30's..!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hard one, agree but, yeah, I'd think PLAYBOY magazine era.

Debora

8. Melissa Brown

That's how it feels to me too
    Yep, that's our guy ;-)

It's funny going through these people's things after hearing family stories for the past 30 years. I never met any of them in person. This guy lived in the penthouse of a New York high rise...lots of sizzle and some steak ;-)

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Poor casting with porosity,ring has been sized smaller at least once.Intaglio stone was inexpensive in the 60/70's,possibly hobbyist made.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Worn on pinkie. Big cigar. Favorite drink rye.

Debora

Aquitaine, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  11. KingofThings

Russian or Deli?
    ;)

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Of course, it's a classic motif but material, weight and design of ring and relative simplicity of intaglio leads one to believe it's (much) later rather than earlier. Here's a Victorian ring featuring a carnelian intaglio of Mars for comparison.

Debora

Victorian Ring.jpg

15. Melissa Brown

Christmasjoy, Debora and KingofThings like this.
  16. KingofThings

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My great-grandfather wore his signet ring on a daily basis, but I don't think he was a world leader.:confused:
    He never would have drunk rye either. A good glass of wine and a cheroot in a silver and amber holder. But of course he was European, no rye to be seen here in those days. He was part French, so yes, he wore his ring on his pinkie. In The Netherlands it is worn on the ringfinger, like the man in the ad wears his.

Melissa Brown and KingofThings like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those intaglio rings were also used as seal rings, of course.

Melissa Brown and KingofThings like this.
  19. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

KingofThings likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

About rye, I'm not sure how it's supposed to taste. The only time I recall tasting it was when I bought a bottle of rye produced at George Washington's Mount Vernon made on the estate. It was fairly fresh as I recall. Smelled like peat to me and tasted as I imagine peat must taste. I tried it again after a few years and same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted