Another Necklace From Same Seller - Origin?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by tie.dye.cat, Jan 13, 2018.

1. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Again, out of my league here. I don't even know how to start researching this necklace as I have no idea where it's from. Thanks for any information anyone can throw my way.

Pics in next post.

i need help likes this.
  2. tie.dye.cat

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely. Probably Pakistan/Afghanistan, will have to do some more research. This could be added to the message I just sent you. Any more goodies?:)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. tie.dye.cat

Thanks Any Jewelry. This necklace has a tad bit of verdigris on (I think) the lower chains; let me see if I can spiff it up a bit.

I have not tested this to see if any parts are silver (other than the dangling chains of course), but I wouldn't think the top would be silver is the rest is not. I'll take a magnet to it later at least to see if I need to test.

Unfortunately, so far, this is it. I bought several nice things from this person, but these are the only two ethnic items in the group. I mentioned to them once that I'd be interested in more items, and they said they would let me know, but I never heard more from them.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My first thought as Afghanistan, but it was in there somewhere. I don't think you have to worry about silver content, but it's worth testing.

6. Any Jewelry

If it is silver, it is probably somewhere between .500 and .800.

7. Christy Roppel

Christy Roppel Active Member

Hummm...my thought was Peruvian made with "Alpaca Silver" which is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel.

tie.dye.cat and judy like this.
  8. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Definitely not S American. I vote Afghani also (Kuchi AJ?)but definitely from that part of the world.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    tie.dye.cat and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, Kuchi.:) The branch of the Kuchi that travels in the Pakistan/Afghanistan area. I messaged tie.dye about it at the time, and didn't post my findings here.:sorry:

The type of chain from which the dangles hang is also used in Ecuador, possibly Peru too, but that is where the similarity ends imo. It was used in other parts of the world as well.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    tie.dye.cat and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted