Featured Another one of them charcoal portrait thingies.

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by moreotherstuff, May 3, 2019.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The only difference between this and a million others is that I know who these people are. Millboard, 16" by 20".
    z-a.jpg

And I have the photo from which those portraits were taken. The card measures 4" by 2 3/8".
    z-b.jpg

To show what the portraitist was working with, here's a size comparison of the two:
    z-d.jpg

BTW.. the child in the lady's lap is the same aunt I mentioned in the goat cart thread.

Here's the same gent with his second wife. (Tells a tale all by itself, doesn't it?) Are those the puffiest sleeves ever?
    z-c.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    quirkygirl, Figtree3, Jivvy and 11 others like this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wonderful photos, MOS. I particularly like the little girl in the middle, and the way her hands are resting on her parents' arm and shoulder.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I can almost feel their eyes burning through the lens.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Leg-o-Mutton sleeves. Dates the image to the 1890s. And second wives weren't uncommon. The health of so many women was affected by multiple pregnancies.

Debora

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Certainly the case here. I'm told by the family member who does the genealogy stuff that there were 12 children with wife #1.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Probably killed her, poor thing. And do you know how many survived into adulthood?

Debora

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

very nice charcoal portrait MOS, wonderful to have the photo too:)

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I've seen that in my own family history. I find it sad.

9. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Blurry baby! Couldn't stay still, but the little girl did a great job :)

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not yet. I can only account for 4 of them off the cuff.

12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Surprisingly leg-o-mutton sleeves had a very short window of popularity. I believe you can confidently narrow down the date to 1895-1897.

13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I don't think that moreotherstuff's portrait is one, but this does skirt the topic of the "charcoal enhanced" photograph. After years of doubt, I found the answer to a curatorial question that plagued me for years.
    When examining those numerous large, usually framed “parlour” portraits so common in museum collections, I noticed that many of them, although the details seemed photographic, also appeared to be sketched with charcoal. Sometimes the charcoal would even rub off. Here is the answer...they are Both! They are commonly referred to as solar enlargements.
    The article link below explains them in greater detail. Please note, there is also mention made of the common tinting embellishments we see so often.
    http://resources.conservation-us.org/pmgtopics/2005-volume-eleven/11_14_Whitman.pdf

14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My great-grandfather and his first wife had 12 children who survived. She died and he married my great-grandmother. He was 42 and she was 18 so she was barely older than his oldest child. She had 12 more children who survived to old age.

Christmasjoy and moreotherstuff like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Thank god for birth control!

Christmasjoy and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted