Featured Another Pair of Opera Glasses

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I know, I know...

[​IMG]

These opera glasses were $20 at the local charity shop. They came with the case you see there. The case and the glasses are branded by LeMaire of Paris (see the cute little bumblebee on the clasp!).

They were originally black shagreen leather, but the leather was in horrible condition. It was crumbling off when I bought it, so I tore it all off and replaced it with leather instead. Compared with the original leather, I think this is a big improvement (at least it covers the entire body of the opera glasses, unlike the original covering!).

These glasses were EXTREMELY STIFF when I got them. I had to pull them apart and put a couple of drops of oil inside them to get the focus-mechanism moving again, but they now slide up and down smoothly.

One thing I didn't realise with these glasses is that the big lenses at the front are actually made up of two pieces each, which are glued together. The glue holding one set of lenses together separated. I removed the old glue and then put them back together into the opera glasses, sans glue.

After extensive cleaning of all the lenses, the quality of the view is pretty good, but one side is slightly out of focus/fuzzy because of the lens-separation. The case is also in a slightly sorry state.

Still, I thought I'd share them.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The lenses were probably "glued" together with Canadian balsam,modern Epoxy 330 works well for reglueing.

3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Congratulate me. I successfully sold them, case and all, to a friend :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congratulations, Shangas!

Draft saved Draft deleted