Featured Another ring!Carved Chinese Silver Filigree

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I like it as is.

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd leave it be.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Fair enough :)
    It stays as is!
    Thanks for your help everyone :)

IvaPan, stracci and bercrystal like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

..& it stays put!! ;):playful::playful::D:D:D

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can remember seeing similar here in the U.S. in the '80s (lots of ivory sold back then)...

Regarding the 'SILVER' stamp, here is a short excerpt from Adrien Von Ferscht's 'Chinese Export Silver 1785 to 1940' (2015):

silver-chinese-mark-not-antique-von-Ferscht-2015-Chinese-Export-Silver-1785-1940.JPG

~Cheryl

IvaPan, KSW, bercrystal and 1 other person like this.
  6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks Cheryl, that’s very interesting. I’ve seen plenty of very modern pieces of jewellery just marked CHINA but I didn’t realise that was the reason and why some pieces are just stamped SILVER.
    What a shame that amazing Chinese craftsmen aren’t able to be recognised by properly hallmarking.

IvaPan likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's really useful, Cheryl. I'm going to speculate a bit here. ;)

He's talking about non jewellery yes? I've seen older stuff with proper stamps, newer with just SILVER. Although some newer is starting to be marked again. Same with glass too. Interesstingly, older - early 20th - cloisonne is often marked CHINA or MADE IN CHINA with a font which is almost chop style.

I surmise that perhaps Chinese jewellery, though, may share something with Western pieces, though, in that some didn't and still don't carry a maker's mark. I'm thinking this because I have a few pieces of what I think is older Chinese Export and all it has is CHINA and or SILVER on it.

There's also the Hong Kong complication. I bought gold jewellery there in the 80s. Not a mark on it. I've the receipts from the reputable shop. Then again, you get older HK pieces which have 9ct or 18ct on them.

IvaPan and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted