Featured another Sancai glazed roof tile

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Feb 17, 2023.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

1.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg does it look Ming era?

2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Sunday-I love these roof tiles.Are you finding them for sale,and with the Chinese great skill at crafting superb repros -how do you know when to pull the trigger ?
    The wear on the underside looks a little newish to me,but I'm in no way an expert.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the colors ! Asian antiques is such a minefield I tend to stay away ,or just buy if I think they are pretty.

pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Simple really, even without the usual 'newly made in China' listing @2manybooks posted. The Ming dynasty ended in 1644, and this roof tile was clearly never used. 17th century new old stock is extremely unlikely.
    And as usual, the added dirt means new.

2manybooks and Bakersgma like this.
  6. bosko69

I'd love to surprise my gal w/a few of these in the garden but $150 apiece for repops !?

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can get them for a reasonable price.:) Maybe a garden centre, home decor store?

8. bosko69

Gotta be around for less than that,even better w/ a little Northwest moss on them.Nice folk art for the garden-tiny guardians.

Draft saved Draft deleted