Featured Another show and tell: Avro Arrow poster

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by moreotherstuff, Sep 5, 2022.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The Avro Arrow project started in 1953. Known as the CF-105, it was a supersonic long range interceptor designed and built by A.V. Roe Canada. It was the most advanced aircraft of its day, with its first test flight in 1958. The government scuttled the project in 1959. Its a source of controversy to this day. There are posters of the Arrow out there, but I haven't seen one quite like this. From the caption, "It took Canadians to shoot it down.", this must have been made after the cancellation of the project. It was a hot political issue for a long time. Poster measures 16 1/8" by 23 1/4".
    https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/avro-arrow

Poster Avro Arrow 16eigth 23quarter 14sevensixteenths 22 -a.jpg

Poster Avro Arrow 16eigth 23quarter 14sevensixteenths 22 -b.jpg

Poster Avro Arrow 16eigth 23quarter 14sevensixteenths 22 -c.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

great poster........

As I remember........ the Yanks didn't like us besting them in the aero plane industry ...and got us to kill this beautiful bird !

cxgirl and Robert Ransom like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's certainly one of the stories. A lot of the engineers working for Roe found a home in the U.S. after this project closed.

Robert Ransom and komokwa like this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Memories...Early 60's.
    The poster photo of the Canadian delta wing jet brought back memories of occurrences during my military service.

1961 Bay of Pigs, 1962 McGuire Air Force Base, NJ, F-106 Delta Wing Fighter Interceptor, 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, 1963 Kennedy Assassination, Vietnam Build-up, and many more.

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Thank you , for your service !!!:happy:

Robert Ransom likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've a couple of books on Avro. Many of the Brits working on the Arrow went to NASA.

moreotherstuff and Robert Ransom like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted