Featured ANOTHER SONGSTER - KNIGHTS OF LABOR

Discussion in 'Books' started by Aquitaine, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Probably from the same houseful of stuff that my Mom had gotten on Block Island, RI. This one is 6-5/8" by 5-1/8, missing page 1/2 and only has 64 pages. No cool images inside....the cover is the best part!! Although inside the has more to do with "labor"...... poverty, strikes, doing what's right, helping one another, etc. What made me recall this little "Casket of Gems" as is on the front cover, is that in reading the link that @Figtree3 gave me from the other songster, the name Will J. Hardman was mentioned, and it 'rang a bell'....so I dug up this little number!! Not as nice, but interesting just the same!!! Again, any input from anyone??? This one I have not yet researched....but do not anticipate any value.........

KofL1.jpg KofL2.jpg KofL3.jpg

2. Joshua Brown

Joshua Brown Decently-Known-Member

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great work, Joshua!

The Knights of Labor has a very interesting history, it seems. They were either the first, or one of the first, organized labor organizations in the United States.

The organization started to fall apart after their activities related to the Haymarket Square riot in Chicago in the 1880s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Labor

Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The Knights of Labor was an interesting organization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_Labor

From Wikipedia:
    Though often overlooked, the Knights of Labor contributed to the tradition of labor protest songs in America. The Knights frequently included music in their regular meetings, and encouraged local members to write and perform their work. In Chicago, James and Emily Talmadge, printers and supporters of the Knights of Labor, published the songbook "Labor Songs Dedicated to the Knights of Labor" (1885). The song "Hold the Fort" [also "Storm the Fort"], a Knights of Labor pro-labor revision of the hymn by the same name, became the most popular labor song prior to Ralph Chaplin IWW anthem “Solidarity Forever”.

Here’s some stuff on Will Hardman (apparently better know for latter work):
    http://theoldrecordgal.blogspot.ca/2016/11/the-search-for-will-j-hardman-and-more.html

Maybe you should contact that blogger. He might not have anything to add, but you can bet he’d be interested in knowing about the songster.

U. S. Stephens was founder of the order and had the title “Grand Master Workman”.

This would be of interest to people who collect folk and popular music, and to people interested in the history of labor movements.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

"The organization started to fall apart after their activities related to the Haymarket Square riot in Chicago in the 1880s:"

Once again, totally unrelated to the OP - BUT, I am related by blood/marriage (my blood married into her blood) to someone closely related to the Haymarket Square Riot - she married one of the (executed) defendants..............for about 24 hours if I remember correctly. Then it was Off To The Gallows! - for him............she she pined away in total solitude as she was ostracized by friends and family................

Okay - done with unrelated relations in relation to the related....................

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. Aquitaine

@Joshua Brown, THANK YOU!! The first link I had NOT seen!!! Now saved!! The second, I did come across!!! Couldn't sleep so started looking :dead::dead: so NOW am ready to sleep....figures......AWESOME FINDS!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Figtree3 and Joshua Brown like this.
  7. Aquitaine

@moreotherstuff, THANK YOU so much for that Blog spot link!! Great idea to see if they might be interested!! That was an interesting site!!!! All links are getting bookmarked since it's the best way to find them!!! For ME!!!!

Joshua Brown and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Once again, THANK YOU Fig!!!! I posted late last night...too tired to search, then couldn't sleep so started looking, but apparently not wide awake looking!!!! You ALL found more than I did!!! Except for Josh's second link!! ALL very much appreciated!!!:):):):):)

Joshua Brown and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This would make a good human interest story!

Joshua Brown likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Her name was Nina Van Zandt and there are a number of articles about her on line. She became a labour activist and far as I recall, she died in the 1930s/40s............. and left a house full of cats................

Figtree3 and Joshua Brown like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted