Another Storage,Antique Engraving Can't make Out Name

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Apr 23, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Another storage artwork.I think this is an old engraving.I can't make the name out. I tried to get good pictures.Maybe someone will give me a name I can look up.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Did you forget your photographs?

Debora

3. antiquelover69

SAM_1204.JPG SAM_1204.JPG SAM_1206.JPG SAM_1205.JPG SAM_1208.JPG SAM_1213.JPG SAM_1209.JPG
    They are up,I can see them SAM_1204.JPG SAM_1204.JPG SAM_1206.JPG SAM_1205.JPG SAM_1208.JPG SAM_1213.JPG SAM_1209.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. antiquelover69

I can see them.I don't know what has happen

5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

6. antiquelover69

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There's nothing about him floating around the internet (that I found) except the above reference.

Debora

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I love it when an artist adds these extra little images along with his/her signature!!

5BAB07CD-0BED-431C-BD0D-2AAD0428A261.jpeg

9. antiquelover69

I was thinking the same.Just so neat.Wish I knew why.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

A remarque is an original drawing, sketch or painting done in the margins of a print. ... usually it is a simple sketch with pencil or pen,

11. antiquelover69

Thanks Komokwa! so interesting

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

in most cases, because it is an original drawing by the artist.........
    it will increase the value of the print.

13. antiquelover69

Thanks so much! I looked up remarque,the description was it's added to artwork to show it's one of a kind and rare.

14. komokwa

that's a bit of an overstatement ....

the extra drawing...is one of a kind....
    added at the artists whim...

antiquelover69 likes this.
  15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I wouldn't put all that much faith in remarques. True that they are supposed to be little drawings added by the artist, but they are very frequently little sketches added directly to the plate so that the same thing appears on every print (or at least the "deluxe" edition). They are a marketing thing. You would have to find other examples of the same print to see how unique the remarque is.

antiquelover69 and komokwa like this.
  16. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Could this be the same engraver (W. WELLSTOOD)
    Battle of the Thames -.jpg

Battle of the Thames - Death of Tecumseh.

Engraving, hand colored, 1857
    Image size 5 1/2 x 7 3/8" (13.9 x 18.8 cm).
    Good condition with modern hand color.LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 53130
    Price: $95.00
    Publisher : Published by Johnson, Fry Co., New York.Engraved by W. Wellstood. "Tecumseh Indian chief warrior, and orator, was fatally shot by Colonel Johnson at the Battle of the Thames in Upper Canada during the War of 1812. Tecumseh and his followers joined forces with the British to resist the encroachment of settlers on Indian territory. With Tecumseh's death, however, the momentum and power of the Indian confederacy was broken." -Architect/CapitolThis particular impression was published by Johnson, Wilson & Co. Publishers, New York, 1874.18th-19th Cen

Battle of the Thames - Death of Tecumseh.

Engraving, hand colored, 1857
    Image size 5 1/2 x 7 3/8" (13.9 x 18.8 cm).
    Good condition with modern hand color.LOCATION: New York City

Inventory Number: 53130
    Price: $95.00
    Publisher : Published by Johnson, Fry Co., New York.Engraved by W. Wellstood. "Tecumseh Indian chief warrior, and orator, was fatally shot by Colonel Johnson at the Battle of the Thames in Upper Canada during the War of 1812. Tecumseh and his followers joined forces with the British to resist the encroachment of settlers on Indian territory. With Tecumseh's death, however, the momentum and power of the Indian confederacy was broken." -Architect/CapitolThis particular impression was published by Johnson, Wilson & Co. Publishers, New York, 1874.18th-19th Century Subj

komokwa and smallaxe like this.
  17. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

Engraver W. Wellstood. Lots on a Google search.

Wellstood.jpg

moreotherstuff and Houseful like this.
  18. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I think this print is an etching. Part of the American painter/etcher movement or the revitalization of etching in America. It started in the second half of the 1800’s. These prints are very common, I see one almost every time I go out antiquing. They almost always have Remarque etchings. A number of artists did these, Ernest Christian Rost is one that turns up quite frequently. I have one by Benjamin Lander.

antiquelover69 and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

I see W. Wellsford Jr. I didn’t google tho

antiquelover69 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted