Another Unknown Kitchen Utensil - What is it?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Cathy Powell, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Cathy Powell

Cathy Powell New Member

Here's another flea market find that I purchased for my green handled kitchen utensil collection and I haven't been able to identify it. Could it be some type of scrubber? The top part is hinged - it opens and closes and the material it wrapped around the top. The material is similar to wick material (Woven). Does anyone know what this was used for? Kitchen -3.jpg Kitchen -1.jpg Kithen -2.jpg Kitchen -3.jpg Kitchen -4.jpg Kitchen -1.jpg Kithen -2.jpg Kitchen -3.jpg Kitchen -4.jpg

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a bottle washer..

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. Cathy Powell

Cathy Powell New Member

That's another interesting piece...have not seen that before either!

Bronwen likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

hard to tell from the angles of the photos how the "hinged" piece might work. Is it possible that this is an attempt at a mason jar opener? Perhaps the strap could be inserted and pulled back to tighten on itself to grip a jar cap/ring.

Jivvy, Shwikman, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Width & overall length? I can't figure out either in what way it is hinged. If you're willing to take the fabric off, could you show us? We don't know with certainty that the wick-like material was originally part of it. Maybe a Hints from Heloise improvisation of some sort.

Christmasjoy and hamptonauction like this.
  7. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

8. Cathy Powell

Cathy Powell New Member

Kitchen 5-1.jpg Kitchen 6-1.jpg Kitchen 7-1.jpg Here are pictures with the fabric removed.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Cathy Powell

Cathy Powell New Member

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Without the fabric, does the movable piece swing freely? Or will it stay closed on its own? Head is about an inch & half wide?

11. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Yea, that’s got to be a strap wrench.

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  12. Cathy Powell

Cathy Powell New Member

The moveable piece stays closed on its own but that may just be because it is old and a little rusted. It does not move on its own, however I can move it pretty easily with my hand. It is Exactly 1.5" wide.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted