Featured Antique advertising pin back ... what can you tell me?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Picked up a number of antique pin backs this weekend at a sale. Most I have found online. (Maybe post on "finds" some are pretty cool-- including bicycle ones from the late 1800's!)

For this particular pin, was the company on the back the firm that made the pin (or was it to advertise that company?) I'm sure the image means something obvious, but wasn't sure what country that 2nd flag was from. Any help?

aaflag.jpg aaflag2.jpg

cxgirl, pearlsnblume, Joe2007 and 2 others like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Cuban flag?
    Cuba flag 1902.gif

judy, Any Jewelry, patd8643 and 5 others like this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Ah! The Spanish American War probably. Thanks!

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

There were a number of cigar manufacturers that included small celluloid pinback buttons in their products. There were a number of subject matters but many were patriotic themes. I've seen large sets of pinbacks with individual countries flags on them. I also have a few pins with the eagle, shield, and arrows motif and one commemorating the sinking of the Maine. I believe that most are last decade of 19th century or early 20th century.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Political, not advertising, pinback. Spanish-American War. 1898. An important year in Spanish history as, after centuries of being a great world power, Spain lost its last remaining colonies -- Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Guam -- after armed conflict with the United States.

Debora

patd8643 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted