Featured Antique Anglo-Irish Cut Glass Sweetmeat - why the monk?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Mar 2, 2021.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

I'm hoping someone can help me with this item, a bit of a puzzle. It is a beautiful but perhaps not very useful covered sweetmeat or comport dish. I know that it is Anglo-Irish in style, and an expert told me it is not the original Georgian but a Victorian revival or the style, altjhough that covers two thirds of a century! It is about 12" tall including the lid, and has a wonderful sparkle in the light, although the glass is very thick and heavy. I would be pleaased to pin down the date a bit more closely, but my main query is about the etching on one facet of the cover. It took me a long time to notice it, but it has what looks like a monk (or possibly saint) etched into one of the surfaces, very difficult to photograph. The figure is an elderly, bearded man in long robes, possibly with a large cross and a staff. Could this dish have been engraved to order, for perhaps a Catholic parish office, or a monastery? A religious setting seems odd for such an indulgent piece of glass, but I wouldn't know! The fifth photo shows the monk more clearly when held to the light of my halogen heater, the grill pattern is showing through. Any ideas?
    sweetmeat - 1 (6).jpg sweetmeat - 1 (1).jpg sweetmeat - 1 (4).jpg sweetmeat - 1 (2).jpg sweetmeat - 1 (3).jpg

2. ValerieK

Oops, I meant the fourth photo shows the monk!

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

5. Bookahtoo

I found all the saints who have a staff as their symbol, and are sometimes depicted as older men with beards. Then paired them with a cut glass dish.

komokwa, johnnycb09, patd8643 and 2 others like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Super sleuth. Thanks for sharing your process. I'm always looking for ways to improve my search. This is very helpful!

komokwa likes this.
  7. ValerieK

Amazing, thanks very much! Your search found exactly my sweetmeat bowl, complete with etching. You have achieved more in two hours than I have in many months. The photos on the ebay listing are better than mine of the etching, I couldn't see the bell, and didn't think of looking up the iconography. One reason I missed this listing is that I was looking for Anglo Irish (which I am sure it is), not Bohemian, Sweetmeat not compote, and I hadn't identified St Antlhony. Wonderful work, I should think more outside the box! So it seems my sweetmeat isn't a special order, and more than one was made with St Anthony etched on it. I still don't know why St Anthony is on a sweetmeat dish, but maybe I will find out if I keep looking.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Bookahtoo

You're welcome.
    Yes, I didn't even think about the association St. Anthony might have with sweetmeats, or if it was made, as you suggest, as part of a set marketed to clergy.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted