Featured Antique Art ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by VintageAlways, Nov 19, 2020.

1. VintageAlways

VintageAlways Active Member

50A372A2-447E-40F2-AF69-38111A14417A.jpeg E113FF73-4EE6-4A06-A1C5-D4E517344E78.jpeg 8AA47DC1-579A-46B3-8F4A-C16B416CFC3F.jpeg Hello, I came across this beautiful old image at an estate sale. Wonder if anyone can tell me what kind of art this is, age, style, value (if any), etc. I think this must have been removed from a frame. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a print.....
    can u photo the whole item front and back?

judy, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a handpainted copperplate etching (print). Very pretty.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I believe it is a type of copperplate print, as @antidiem has said, using an aquatint ground. This way of preparing the plate produces the irregular squiggles you can see in the detail photo. It was probably colored by a process known as "á la poupée" ('with the doll'), where the printer used a bundle of cloth to dab colored inks on selected areas of the plate before printing.

According to Bamber Gascoigne (How to Identify Prints), "á la poupée inking was employed in the genre scenes of pretty milkmaids in cottage farmyards....which were fashionable in the late eighteenth century and which became briefly so valuable in the late nineteenth century that new prints of the same type were produced to meet the demand, using a pastiche eighteenth century style but the genuine á la poupée method of inking."

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

It looks more like a chromolithograph or possibly a stipple to me, aquatints tend to be composed of little hollow circles and I'm not seeing that

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. 2manybooks

The effect can vary with the type of resistant material used, and how it was applied. But it would be helpful to see the entire image, the type of paper, and whether there is a plate mark.

[​IMG]
    Detail from Aquatint. W. H. Pyne. Masonry from Picturesque Groups for the Embellishment of Landscape. (London: M.A. Nattali, 1845). c. 1823. (Printed by J. Hill, 1845). 11 1/2 x 9 1/8" (29.2 x 23.2 cm). The Museum of Modern Art, New York. Gift of Richard Benson.
    https://printedpicture.artgallery.yale.edu/intaglio-and-planographic-printing

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes, that looks like one, see the little circles?

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Her clothing is Regency era. Which doesn't mean, of course, that the work is.

Debora

10d4dd8149a25aab9f2a7dcb5e8d21d7.jpg

2manybooks and antidiem like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't tell from these photos. It could be a type of chromo. I had this print:
    zzzb.jpg

I don't know the technique, but not intaglio, not aquatint:
    zzza.jpg

10. 2manybooks

In the aquatint example I posted, I see a variety of irregular forms, but I am not wedded to the idea.

11. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you for the detailed explanation, @2manybooks , I never realized the tint could be dab applied to keep the paper from wrinkling, but indeed. Thanks.
    We can see where here eyes and some of her hair appear to have been inked in after the plate was pulled. I would simply call it a hand colored etching.

12. 2manybooks

Yes, the most inclusive description. A variety of techniques were often used on the same print.

antidiem likes this.
  13. 2manybooks

Bamber Gascoigne describes the use of stipple patterns to provide shading on commercial color lithographs (chromolithographs), noting that "The ordinary late nineteenth-century commercial lithograph, sometimes to the eye but certainly through a [magnifying] glass, will seem to have an advanced case of the measles."
    These shading tints were first applied to the stone by hand with a pen and lithographic ink. In 1879 Benjamin Day, a New Jersey printer, developed transparent sheets embossed with a variety of tinting patterns which could be inked and pressed onto selected areas of the lithographic stone to produce various types of shading. These semi-mechanical "shading mediums" came to be called Ben Day mediums.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Interesting information. It doesn't look like measles to me but, as that description says, a means of providing shading tints.

I don't know if this is the technique used in OP's print, clearer photographs are needed and that image may well be intaglio, but this is another way that dots can occur on a print.

I've tagged that description on to my write-up of the print I had.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Mugzinnys, antidiem and 2manybooks like this.
  15. VintageAlways

8CD2893C-5C63-4683-A432-54714EDC57BA.jpeg 0F7E6B5C-A2F5-4FCB-AE7C-14FA9948D2E1.jpeg 061BB1BA-1C82-4966-A2F1-C275A5932A07.jpeg 2D6D9BED-CC9A-41E1-A9AC-CF6A79D00899.jpeg 12E44DE0-616C-4DB5-87E2-5D04CAE0DF0D.jpeg Wow, that’s a lot of info! Thank you. Here is a picture of the whole print and the cardboard? back that it is attached to...the print appears to be on very thin paper.

Mugzinnys and antidiem like this.
  16. VintageAlways

Thank you, I was wondering about the era of the scene!

antidiem likes this.
  17. VintageAlways

E2E9DC6D-5EA1-49E3-9C8D-E7EF86F5FD22.jpeg

18. VintageAlways

Here is a close-up pic that may help.

antidiem likes this.
  19. VintageAlways

Thank you so much. I have added more photos.

20. VintageAlways

Thank you so much. I have added more photos.

Draft saved Draft deleted