Featured Antique brooch-. Can anyone make out the word Hungary??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Laura1969, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

My husband and I are going blind trying to find little markings. This was as clear as we could get it. Can anyone make out the marking near what looks to say Hungary?? F50C7DA4-C12D-4F07-B938-BCB9B1F122F9.jpeg F4EB784B-010D-4990-A111-ED57010EDE10.jpeg 2900C4C3-8414-4B1E-9E80-72E1046D9B8F.jpeg A09247B6-1215-4B67-A47C-4BE70246CB3B.jpeg 45800A69-1F79-4A1E-A5C8-043A3721F7DC.jpeg 972B46A3-E687-4CB6-A48E-1999D1CF7FBD.jpeg 8655B32C-63F0-4371-86F9-0F35461FC4B9.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The first one is a post-1937 Hungarian silver mark. Difficult to tell which one, but I think it is the one for .925 silver (sterling silver). The second one, KT(?) is probably a maker's mark.
    The style is based on Austro-Hungarian Historic Revival jewellery.

judy, stracci, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Agree, I think it is stamped KT, right before Hungary.

judy, Lucille.b, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. i need help

If @Laura1969 can get a loupe, she may see a letter in the first grouping to indicate the town.

judy, Lucille.b and KSW like this.
  5. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

I have a couple and maybe it's because they are antique also.. but the zoom on the iPad seems better..,,

kyratango, judy and i need help like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Very interesting pin, it's a shame the metal work to the left of the center stone is broken off :(

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot see what is broken off, Marie?

It appears to be gold plated or gold filled, IF it has no "KT" mark, I would think it is gold tone, and not real gold at all.

judy likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks, Marie, I see the metal piece is gone.

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Yea, it's hard to see because so much is going on in this piece.

I would love to know what all the stones are!

judy and Laura1969 like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It has a pre-WWI style clasp on it, and a tube hinge. I'd posit this is Austro-Hungarian and the damage is older than any of us.

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  11. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

The middle stone tested as diamond on my tester but it could be a stone that would give a result as diamond?? It seems accurate on the ones it's detecting and not.

12. Laura1969

Laura1969 Active Member

Either way, I love everything going on with this brooch!! It's so much happiness!!!

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's certainly possible; the Hungarians did all sorts of odd things, and it may well have real stones.

Laura1969 likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

The clasp and tube hinge were used much longer in eastern Europe, maybe still are in some parts. The 'Hungary' stamp, along with a post-1937 Hungarian assay mark, place this lovely firmly in the post- Austro-Hungarian period.

The Historic Revival style didn't end when the Austro-Hungarian empire fell apart. It continued in all the regions where it had been made during imperial times. It just wasn't called Austro-Hungarian, because that name was no longer relevant.

kyratango and i need help like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I am not sure, maybe just under diamond hardness, like a pink sapphire?
    There could be some tourmalines, blue sapphires, rubies, and moonstones as well. Did you test those too? And pearls, of course.
    One of the stones seems to be missing, but that can be replaced.

i need help likes this.
  16. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

17. i need help

Many Interneters are claiming KT stands for Klagenfurt Timisoara, a city of assay.

i have no idea if this makes sense, just throwing it out for input.

18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

VERY doubtful. KT could be for Klagenfurt itself or for Kärnten.

i need help likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Klagenfurt and Timisoara are pretty far apart, and by the time this brooch was made the AH empire had split up.
    Klagenfurt is in Austria. Timisoara was once Hungarian, but has been Rumanian since 1920, so before this brooch was made.
    KT is probably the maker's mark.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted